American Express Careers
Analytics Manager, Credit and Fraud Risk
About American Express
American Express is a global services company that provides consumers and businesses with exceptional access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. We make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services through innovative payment, travel and expense management solutions.
Our direct relationships with millions of consumers, businesses and merchants worldwide -- combined with our leading-edge marketing, analytical, rewards, and servicing capabilities -- enable us to uniquely offer an array of differentiated experiences that enrich lives. American Express was built on service and sustained by innovation – and our vision is to work hard every day to provide the world’s best customer experience.
About Credit and Fraud Risk
Purposeful, ambitious, insatiable, analytical, collaborative and courageous are the hallmarks of our Credit and Fraud Risk team.
This critical team is responsible for managing enterprise risks through the customer lifecycle and across all our global products. We develop industry-first data capabilities, build profitable decision-making frameworks, create machine learning-powered predictive models, and improve customer servicing strategies. This team has delivered industry-leading results year after year while enabling profitable growth and delivering a best-in-class customer experience.
This team is structured under four core functions:
- Credit Risk Strategy: Monitor credit portfolios and optimize profit-based risk management decisions at all stages of the customer credit lifecycle
- Fraud Risk Strategy: Develop fraud prevention strategies on behalf of our customers
- Decision Science: Build predictive models using AI/Machine Learning for all portfolios and products
- Risk Capabilities: Develop technical solutions and capabilities to manage data and execute credit and fraud risk strategies
You will work in a highly dynamic and exciting environment and will have the opportunity to shape strategies and policies for American Express products and services. You will play an influential role working closely with colleagues in other Risk Management teams, Marketing, Finance, Servicing, Legal, Compliance, Banking, and Technology to create world-class strategies and capabilities.
The key responsibilities include:
- Develop and continuously enhance policies, processes, and controls for mitigating credit risk exposure and preventing fraud
- Conduct quantitative analysis to decide the thresholds within which consumers and businesses can access funds (for example: who is approved for a card, how much credit line do they receive, and when they swipe their card, is their transaction approved?)
- Design customer communication and servicing strategies to support risk management strategies, ensuring a positive experience across every customer touchpoint
- Identify, evaluate, and integrate new data sources and capabilities into decision-making
- Analyze large volumes of data to identify emerging credit rends and uncover new fraud patterns
- Partner with other teams across the company to standardize methodologies
- Maintain an effective control environment and respond to operational breakdowns with discipline
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD, or MBA) in a quantitative field such as Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, or Computer Science
- Advanced degree is preferred but not required given a suitable combination of formal education and work experience
- Credit/Fraud risk management experience and understanding of credit lifecycle is preferred
- Blend of analytical skills, process expertise, project management, and relationship-building skills
- Ability to handle large datasets using SAS, SQL, R, Python or another similar programming language
- Thought leadership and solution-oriented mindset
- Ability to think strategically and apply both quantitative methods and business insights to drive results
- Ability to build strong relationships in a cross-functional environment
- Clear, effective written and oral communication skills
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.
Life at American Express
American Express is known for backing our customers to help them achieve their goals and dreams, big and small. At American Express, we’re changing the way people live and work through meaningful projects with real-world impact. When you join our team you can make a difference by improving the everyday lives of customers around the world.
Growing great leaders is one of the things that sets American Express apart. Every employee has the opportunity—and is encouraged—to take their personal leadership to the next level through a wide variety of leadership and learning programs.
Our employees and their families feel supported at every stage of their lives. We provide resources and benefits that help support their physical, financial, and emotional well-being, such as our award-winning global corporate wellness program, Healthy Living, and many others including: 20 weeks of paid parental leave, health (dental and vision) and life insurance, tuition reimbursement, 401k with company match. Some of our roles even offer flexible work arrangements so you can work how it makes sense for you, without compromising our commitment to our colleagues, customers, and shareholders.
Creating an inclusive culture is both a part of who we are and what we do together. We value and embrace the diversity of thought, backgrounds and experiences of all our employees. Through our 15 Employee Networks, participants can broaden their associations with other employees while expanding their knowledge of the business. American Express is a place where being yourself matters. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Aug 27, 2018, 4:28:21 PM