American Express Careers
Campus Undergraduate – 2019 Finance Summer Internship
Finance is at the center of all key business decisions, providing decision support, funding, reporting and transaction services that help grow our business and uphold our reputation as one of the premier finance organizations in the world.
Whether you’re working with a business unit
focused on the consumers, small businesses or major corporations, you’ll have the
opportunity and resources available to make an impact. It sounds exciting
because it is.
What Type of Internships Are Available:
- Corporate Planning & Analysis: "We Keep The Train on the
Provides visibility into AMEX’s past and future financial performance and drives decisions that enable the Company to achieve its stated financial objectives. Leads, coordinates and executes the key business–planning processes and related analytics across American Express. Focuses on process improvement through technology and best practices.
- Business Unit CFO Group: "Decision Drivers for AMEX"
Plays key role in driving decisions for AMEX through leadership and financial analysis to all of the revenue generating business units and key operational groups at AMEX.
- Controllership: "You Can Count on Us"
Collaborates globally to deliver expert accounting, reporting and advisory services, and financial risk control and governance, while supporting business growth and protecting shareholder value.
- Global Tax: "We Solve Taxing Issues"
Delivers value to the enterprise by providing technology-enabled solutions and strategic planning on global tax, legal, accounting, compliance, risk and financial reporting matters and by managing relationships with tax authorities worldwide.
- Global Treasury: "We Move the Money"
Leads AMEX's capital assessment processes and manages the capital distribution strategies through dividends & share repurchases and liquidity to ensure that cash is in the right place, in the right currency, at the right time.
- Corporate Development: "We Do the Deals"
Executes strategically relevant and financially sound transactions that enhance profitability, supplement growth, and optimizes AMEX’s use of capital. Partners at the corporate and business unit levels to drive strategic growth.
- Investor Relations: "We Shape the AMEX Story"
Provides the investment community with information about AMEX's strategies, objectives and performance. IR maximizes the fair valuation of AMEX and its access to capital markets.
- All interns receive a project solving a real business challenge for the organization. Examples of past projects include:
- Leverage big data and SQL to understand American Express Card Member spending behavior in certain industries, across different markets and among certain merchants to ascertain growth opportunities
- Business-to-Business (B2B) Industry Overview and recommendation of potential acquisition targets across markets
- Assess efficiency of acquiring US Consumer Card Members through the Direct Mail acquisition channel
- Creation of prototype to enable financial analysis on mobile products
- Analysis of the profitability our U.S. Small Merchants
- Enhancements to Comprehensive Capital Analysis & Review (CCAR) Stress Testing Analytics as part of annual Federal Reserve Board submission
What Backgrounds / Experiences Are We Looking For:
Below are “The 5 Essentials” we want in our candidates: 1) Analytical Skills; 2) Critical Thinking Skills; 3) Communication Skills; 4) Agile Mindset; and 5) Leadership.
Do you have the ability to manipulate large amounts of data, spot trends & generate meaningful insights?
Critical Thinking Skills
Can you demonstrate thought leadership, question the status quo & innovate?
Can you synthesize data into an easy-to-understand story & articulate key messages across multiple audiences?
Do you have a positive, can-do attitude? Can you adapt to change? Are you a highly motivated self-starter?
Do you act & lead with courage? Can you build relationships, make decisions quickly & influence change? Do you drive results?
We want talented individuals with a broad set of experiences. Past interns have had experience in finance, accounting, consulting, marketing, business analytics and more. Know how to use SAS, SQL, Hive or Python? Have artificial intelligence and predictive modeling experience? Are you a seasoned project manager? There’s a job in Finance at American Express for you.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program
- Students must have a graduation date between December 2019 and June 2020
Why Work at American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Learn more about our Finance group at American Express by visiting
With a job at American Express, almost anything is possible. Apply now!
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by April 30th.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 11, 2018, 10:22:14 AM