American Express Careers
Senior Data Engineer - Automation
Do you see data or a better way to improve business and lives?
Today, there’s a business advantage hiding in plain sight, and you’ll find it in data. Our Data Engineers know how to use the newest technology to architect, design, develop, and implement data and database solutions with outstanding agility to power amazing products that drive high customer engagement. So if you are excited by the prospect of technology bringing data to life, engineer your career here.
It’s all about Data, Powered by Engineering and Automation.
As Senior Data Engineer – Automation, you will play a leading role in our mission to implement automation across the full spectrum of database development lifecycle at American Express, thereby driving agility, improved quality, and efficiencies in database software development and operations across the enterprise. You are a versatile database engineer with a strong background and practical experience in enabling continuous delivery with Agile and DevOps.
Here are some of your responsibilities:
- Lead database automation efforts across multiple operational DBMS platforms, including relational and NoSQL, to drive agile software development.
- Develop tools and automate database processes.
- Work collaboratively with application development, database engineering, and CI/CD teams to develop and implement the entire suite of database DevOps.
- Deliver optimal database solutions to meet customer needs, high performance and availability.
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies.
- Lead and mentor a team of data engineers through ongoing development and DevOps efforts.
Are you up for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- 6+ years of database development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience.
- Experience with Agile development, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery, including working knowledge of various tools in the CI/CD pipeline.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) / Behavior Driven Development (BDD) practices.
- Hands-on experience in modern data architectures (e.g. Postgres, Couchbase, Cassandra, mongoDB, etc.) and various other SQL storage engines.
- Hands-on experience with design and development across one or more database management systems (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, NOSQL).
- Experience with distributed/multi-tier systems and application development.
- Experience with coding in at least one scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience in coordinating with multiple development, infrastructure, framework, and production support teams.
- Experience with open source technologies.
- Experience leading teams of engineers.
At the core of Data Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Database Design
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Analytical Thinking
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window:
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 20, 2018, 10:25:46 AM