American Express Careers
Engineer- Java & API Technology
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of software development experience, preferably with large-scale real-time applications.
- Demonstrated hands-on expertise in Java application design, development, and automated testing, in an agile environment.
- Experience designing and implementing REST and SOAP web services, including API design, implementation, testing, plus hands-on experience with XML and JSON serialization.
- Experience and strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, design patterns, and object-oriented design.
- Experience with parallel programming, concurrent programming, and multi-threading.
- Experience with database query optimization and indexing.
- Experience with Apache Storm and Apache Spark is a plus.
- Knowledge of functional programming is a plus.
- Experience in Python is a plus.
- Core competencies in Big Data and distributed systems, including data storage and management, searching, scheduling, logging, serialization, and modeling technologies. (e.g., HDFS, HBase, Pig, Hive, Avro, Lucene, SOLR, ElasticSearch) is a plus
- Daily experience with source control (such as svn, git), automated build systems, and bug tracking systems is strongly preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate to internal and external business partners on solution design.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous or under-defined problems.
- A strong will to win and drive results, with a proven ability to overcome internal and external barriers to achieve results
- High levels of energy, engagement, and ownership. Positive attitude is an absolute must.
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window:
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 12, 2018, 8:31:19 AM