American Express Careers
Senior Manager, EMEA Consumer Business Development
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
The European Business Development Team (EBD) is part of the EMEA Regional Marketing, Business Development and Strategy team, responsible for negotiating large and strategic deals and driving growth for the European Consumer Business by challenging the status quo, developing innovative strategies and consulting across the Blue Box. The high profile, high impact team works in identifying, developing and negotiating strategic business development projects across a wide range of areas including consumer co-brands, loyalty and rewards, regulation mitigation, and inorganic innovations. These projects are diverse in nature, but with the common theme of driving revenue growth – both within our core business lines, as well as in broader adjacent business areas. This is a critical role to help American Express navigate and strengthen the position of our consumer businesses in Europe.
The team focuses on three strategic pillars:
- Retain and expand our existing partnership
- Maximize growth via pipeline expansion
- Driving business strategy and innovation
Strategic partnerships are a major component and key engine for growth for American Express. The team is responsible for driving key consumer co brands, Membership Rewards with the world’s major airlines, hotel chains, online/offline retailers, and leading players in the fintech space. These differentiated partnerships offer compelling rewards-based product propositions to customers and contribute towards the achievement of various strategic core business objectives of its partners.
- Contribute to the team’s strategy by keeping abreast of market dynamics, regulatory changes, competitor and partner activities in relevant industries and building a robust view of the market landscape.
- Support the development of deals and project pipelines by identifying and evaluating potential opportunities.
- Perform assessment of new business opportunities and develop a recommendation on whether the opportunities should be pursued. This will include gathering market and/or competitive information, collecting relevant input from internal subject matter experts and stakeholders and working with Finance to perform preliminary business analysis.
- Support all aspects of deal negotiation, including stakeholder management (internal & external), commercial term development and adhere to relevant contractual reviews and approval processes.
- Create a strong network of contacts with subject matter expertise in order to identify further opportunities for growth.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong strategic mind with a proven track record in building pragmatic strategies to drive business growth, incorporating robust understanding of the external landscape.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of card issuing business and rewards economics and dynamics.
- External orientation with the ability to perceive, assess and deliver partner requirements and customer needs.
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills; prior experience in external facing business development preferred.
- Proven ability to engage and influence internal stakeholders, partners and prospects across complex organisations.
- Strong networking ability, able to establish, maintain and leverage a network of internal and external partners in order to generate opportunities.
- Strong financial acumen, commercially minded with very good level of analytical skills.
- Ability to provide structure and influence cross-functional teams to drive results in a fast paced, multi partner environment with constant change.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize across diverse requirements and deliver to partner-driven timeframes.
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to manage and work across multiple markets.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a solid ability to acquire knowledge and present financials.
- Demonstrated innovative problem solving skills and comfort challenging the status quo.
- MBA or similar qualification preferred. Language: English, any additional European language skill would be advantageous but not essential.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Sep 11, 2018, 11:27:38 AM