American Express Careers
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
Coordinating closely with and supporting the Manager - Accounting & Reporting Controllership, this role will be responsible for the financial integrity of a major UK operating entity.
Core responsibilities will include: analysis and explanation of the monthly financial results; assessing the accounting implications of transactions under IFRS; supporting the production and audit of the IFRS statutory financial statements; reviewing accounting entries to ensure compliance with internal policy and US GAAP; and providing financial analysis for the Legal Entity Board and Operating Committees.
- Regular review of accounting entries, month end reports and reconciliations to ensure integrity of the financial records.
- Preparation of month end reporting, based on legal entity P&L and Balance Sheet.
- Ensure that any issues identified are escalated where appropriate and tracked to conclusion.
- Assess local IFRS implications for key business transactions and document via MFR.
- Review output from the Legal Entity Reporting (LER) team and liaise with the Auditor as required to support completion of the statutory financial statements and audit process.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of all Regulatory and Statutory Reporting requirements (incl. FRS101/IFRS and the Companies Act), and partner with the LER team to proactively implement any changes.
- Provide financial guidance on legal entity related queries raised by market customers, business partners and regional finance teams.
- Provide variance commentaries for bi-monthly financial updates to the Board and Operating Committees.
- Monitor intercompany transactions and ensure appropriate service fees exist to drive accurate transfer pricing between legal entities.
- Provide secretariat function for Audit & Finance Committee.
- Monitor account reconciliation status for Balance Sheet accounts and prepare updates for the Board and Operating Committees.
- Ensure adequate controls, documentation and audit trails are in place to comply with US GAAP, internal accounting and close process policies and procedures.
- Maintaining strong legal entity governance when accounting entries and processes are being performed by multiple different teams, in geographically diverse locations.
- Delivering high quality and accurate financial information within critical deadlines.
- Assessing and communicating IFRS implications, when the primary ledgers are maintained under US GAAP.
- Coordinating effectively with cross functional teams.
- Maintaining strong legal entity governance, when other teams are focused on Line of Business results.
- Influencing business partners and customers on legal entity and accounting requirements.
- Understanding and implementing local regulatory or policy driven changes.
- Handling reporting issues in absence of leader and judging when issues require escalation.
- Taking ownership for tasks and showing the initiative to drive them through to completion, without the need for detailed instructions.
- Demonstrating personal accountability to ensure all tasks and activities are delivered within the required timelines.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Qualified accountant with professional finance experience.
- Strong technical accounting background and experience in accounting, reporting and statutory audit.
- Advanced knowledge of IFRS reporting requirements (understanding of US GAAP and UK GAAP also preferable).
- Ability to share technical knowledge and communicate to others in simple terms.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to resolve issues and track through to conclusion.
- Understanding of month end close processes and reporting, with ability to identify high risk and unusal items.
- Proven ability to manage own workload and operate autonomously.
- Ability to collaborate across geographies in a matrix structure and deliver on customer expectations.
- High proficiency in MS-Office applications (experience of Essbase and Oracle also preferable).
- Fast learner with ability to quickly pick up new processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of American Express business lines and business models in the local market.
- Results driven/ability to perform multiple tasks, work to strict deadlines and prioritise tasks.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 4, 2018, 9:52:08 AM