American Express Careers
Yeah, you can design and code. We’re looking for a Leader, too.
Have you been writing sweet Java code and making epic designs for years? Are you ready to take the next step and be a stellar leader, leading a software engineering team and working with Business Partners to deliver brilliant tech solutions that crush it in the marketplace? Then read on.
Be part of a family
Our team is like a family – minus the creepy uncle sitting in the corner. You’ll spend your workdays amongst friends. Kind, warm-hearted people who put integrity and teamwork above all else. We have brilliant colleagues who can teach you new things to help your grow your career, and we’re counting on you to teach us, too.
What would you say… ya do here?
We work in a Java / Big Data ecosystem with an Agile Scrum development methodology. You’ll help define the future vision for our platforms, demonstrating your leadership with the Business and your Tech colleagues. This is a great position to take your career to the next level. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Work with product owners to define, design, and prioritize features for ongoing sprints and manage a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Perform hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Function as a senior member of an Agile Scrum team and drive consistent development practices with respect to tools, common components, and documentation
- Conduct code reviews to ensure business requirements are met and coding standards are adhered to
- Do and/or guide proof-of-concept coding with a variety of languages/tools to develop sweet new capabilities
- Develop deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Perform ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts and deliver continuous improvement
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies by keeping up with current industry trends
- Screen engineer candidates to build our talent pipeline
So what are the skills we’re looking for?
Let’s be honest – Nobody has every “required” qualification in a job description. But if you’re in the ballpark, and you’re ready to lead a team of passionate engineers to world domination in the areas of Java, Big Data, APIs, and awesomeness, hit that APPLY button and let’s party.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 8+ years of experience with Object-Oriented design and coding with the advanced elements of Core Java. A big plus for a variety of other languages
- Experience with RESTful APIs using Spring or SpringBoot framework. Vert.x is delightful to know
- Proven hands-on experience with Big Data technology (Hadoop, HBase, Hive, Kafka, etc.)
- Excellent Leadership qualities, including partner collaboration and impressive written and oral communication skills
- Experience with Database query optimization and indexing, and of course legendary SQL skills, with deep Hive knowledge a big plus
- Experience with Machine learning will impress us a bit
- Mad skills in SPARK will impress us a lot
- BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- General awesomeness
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2018, 7:07:51 AM