American Express Careers
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
Are you up for the challenge?
- Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of Personalization (ML driven) systems supporting multiple business units across Customer & Prospect marketing.
- Functions as Senior engineer of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices
- Typically spends 80% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time collaborating with peers, stakeholders through ongoing product/platform releases
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other Amex systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Performs ongoing refactoring of code, utilizes visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and deliver continuous improvement - Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Provides continuous support for ongoing application availability
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Works with product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
This high energy Engineer must have:
- Education- Bachelor or Masters’ Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 8+ years of software development experience with proven hands-on experience in Big Data technologies
- Experience with design and coding across one or more platforms and languages as appropriate
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges, and articulate solutions
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
- High energy, demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software and should have a knack to be updated on latest technology trends in the industry.
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented design and coding with variety of languages
- Knack to guide/mentor other junior team members in both technology and domain.
- Strong programming knowledge in Java/Python
- Experience working on any Hadoop distribution, such as Mapr, Cloudera, Hortonworks and have at least coded in Hive, Pig, Java M/R, Spark for 2 years or more, will be an added advantage.
- Solid understanding of data structures, Algorithms & Design Patters will be an added advantage
- Strong experience with UNIX / Shell / Perl / Python scripting
- Understanding of different Algorithms & Machine Learning techniques (Neural Network, Deep Learning, Supervised & Unsupervised, Regression, Classification) and their application in batch/real-time will be an added advantage
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience in Cloud technologies (Dockerization, etc) , will be an added advantage.
- Strong analytical ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent team-player with ability to work with global teams
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Porting/Software Configuration
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- Business Analysis
- Analytical Thinking
- Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2018, 7:04:42 AM