American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Java
- Owns all Technical aspects of Software Development for assigned applications.
- Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems.
- Requirements gathering, analysis, design and development of integration solutions and APIs.
- Communicating to stakeholders and business partners on the solution and the implementation aspects at the technical and/or functional level appropriate for the situation.
- Ability to work closely with Technical Architects and architecture governance technical team for solution development and design reviews.
- Manages and mentors teams of Junior and Senior Engineers through ongoing sprints.
- Functions as a Senior member of an Agile team and helps drive consistent development practices – tools and common components.
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains.
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products.
- Typically spends 30-50% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time managing team and stakeholders through ongoing product/platform release sprints.
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies.
- This “rebel with a cause” looks beyond the obvious for continuous improvement opportunities.
- Software Development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience.
- 10+ years of Development experience with Java.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field required.
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Experience with design and coding across one or more object oriented platforms and languages.
- Must be an excellent Java programmer (minimum Java 7, Java 8 preferable).
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, JUnit, Mocking, Oracle DB SQL, JVM fundamentals.
- Experience in handling large volumes of data.
- Knowledge in In-memory computing is preferable.
- Desirable to have cloud experience, especially Unix and service discovery tools.
- Desirable to have experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. ELK, Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins and other JVM languages.
- Hands-on experience with application design, software development and automated testing Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Current knowledge of payments industry desirable.
- Manages seamlessly across time zones, cultures, and band levels.
- Communicates effectively with Technical, Operational, and Business stakeholders.
- Must be willing and able to express new ideas, concerns and opinions directly to wider team in team meetings via teleconference.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential.
- Must be proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express. Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 13, 2018, 2:54:33 PM