American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Payment Network
American Express is making strategic investments to build a new, modernised payment network platform to allow the company to meet its ambitious global growth agenda. We’re is looking for strong leaders and engineers to be part of high energised network modernisation team.
As a Senior Engineer, you will be building core features and functions of payment transaction systems/platforms deployed in a hybrid private cloud. A Senior Engineer in American Express is an individual contributor role reporting to the Director of Engineering.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a wide breath of engineering experience, including leading technically engineering teams.
- Is able to communicate complex concepts simply to leaders and business partners.
- Is experienced with agile delivery teams and feels comfortable on being accountable for delivering a high-quality product that meets the customer needs and standards.
- Has mastery of the core tools used in analysing, designing, building, testing and deploying complex enterprise software.
- Constantly pursues and learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions.
- Is familiar and always on track of enabling technologies and open-source products to build low latency distributed systems.
- Leads a culture of innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome oriented culture, and always be ready to try new concepts without fear of failure.
- Is team-oriented, always ready to guide, lead and support the team to deliver outstanding results. Works as a productivity multiplier for the team, contributing to enable the team to be more effective and productive.
Tech stack characteristics:
- Java microservices for high-availability systems
- Scalable applications running on Vert.x and Spring Boot
- Java 8, RxJava, Reactor, Kafka
- NoSQL: Redis, Couchbase, Cassandra
- High performance cloud infrastructure (PaaS)
- Function as a technical leader of the Agile team, being the go to person for key technical questions and decisions.
- Work closely with the Engineer Director and other Senior Engineer peers to ensure the team’s deliverables adheres to the architecture, coding and testing standards and best practices.
- End to end design and coding of key features on a distributed, scalable, high performant and mission critic transaction platform using Java.
- Lead code reviews and automated testing, ensuring a frictionless CI/CD flow.
- Debug software components and identify code defects for remediation.
- Leads the deployment, support and monitoring of software across test, integration and production environments.
- Collaborate with peer technology and development teams across different locations.
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations
Posting date 22/10/18
Closing date 20/11/18
Location: Burgess Hill
- University Degree in computer science, computer engineering or equivalent experience.
- Significant hands-on experience on enterprise software development.
- Strong Java skills, including microservices, APIs, Java 8, Asynchronous programming and modern Java frameworks (e.g. Rx Java, Reactor, Vert.x, Spring Boot) and tools.
- Deep understanding of how JVM optimizes code and effectively uses language features to deliver consistent performance.
- Strong understanding of various design patterns, threading, sockets and memory models supported by the JVM.
- Hands-on experience in building distributed statless microservices using RESTFul APIs and NoSQL databases.
- Financial Transaction knowledge – ISO8583 messages, Payment Authorizations, Acquirers, Payment Networks, Issuers, Processors.
- Designing and building Cloud native applications for cloud platforms such as Docker, Kubernetes and OpenShift.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Oct 22, 2018, 6:45:36 AM