American Express Careers
Mainframe Senior Engineer
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
The successful applicant for the Senior Engineer role will co-lead the engineering team involved in designing, developing, implementing, and operating solutions that scale to the demands of a global organization. This is a unique opportunity to showcase your technical and delivery skills as a core member of an established team.
This position will be one of two Snr Engineers responsible for leading the Engineers for two scrum teams, looking after the Business Travel Account product, which is one of Global Corporate Services 's 'crown jewels' products, processing an annual charge volume of $18bn across the globe.
The BTA product is the industry leading T&E centrally billed solution for Corporate Clients. The incumbent will become part of our high performing engineering group who support, develop and grow the Classic mainframe product.
We are also leading the way for mainframe modernisation, with the adoption of tools such as Topaz (IDE), ISPW, XLR and Total Test from Compuware, as well as other tools such as HT UTF. We even have JAVA on the mainframe experience!
- Manages delivery of application services and solutions in support of key initiatives by working closely with Product Owners, Scrum Masters, Solution Architects, and Engineers.
- Works with other Senior Engineers and Scrum Masters/TPMs to maintain delivery between planned sprints/iterations and dependent teams.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the team’s work across multiple engineering, infrastructure and third parties.
- Work within and across tech and business units to prioritize, plan and execute the development schedule for new capabilities.
- Breaks down barriers and shields the team from impediments that hinder progress against sprints and Program Increments.
- Assigns resources to activities and monitors delivery metrics.
- Manages and escalates risks, issues, and changes tied to delivery.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Significant mainframe expertise, and experience of leading engineers.
- University Degree in Computer Science, Computer Science Engineering, or other Technical discipline; or equivalent work experience.
- Experience managing Agile, Scrum or other rapid application development teams to deliver technology solutions that meet customer expectations for timeliness and quality. Includes methods such as Lean, XP, Kanban, Scrum, Programmer Anarchy and scaling methods such as SAFe/Nexus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate across technical, business, and third-party stakeholders.
- Experience in clarifying objectives, dealing with ambiguity/under-defined problems, and advocating for simplification.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
- Ability and comfort with working independently and making key decisions on project
- Ability to view the end-to-end process and understand downstream, upstream.
- Effects of implementing change and plan appropriately to compensate and/or overcome this when necessary.
- Proven ability to manage change in dynamic, ambiguous environment and ability to influence without direct authority among peers and with leaders.
- Nice to Have
- Relevant Certifications (e.g. PMI, Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe agilist, etc).
- Infrastructure experience (servers, virtual machines, containers, databases, and networking concepts).
- Relevant collaboration and project management tool experience (e.g. Slack, Confluence, Rally, etc.)
- Technical Skills: IMS DB, IMS DC, CICS, DB2, Cobol, JCL, Selcopy, REXX, CHGMAN, Compuware Topaz (preferable), File-Aid DB2, IMS
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 7, 2018, 4:44:24 AM