American Express Careers
Sr Data Architect
If you build it right, business will grow.
Our Data Architects know that tapping the true value of data takes more than creating a blueprint and following it; it takes a strategic vision and deep experience. It’s the foundation that supports our company, our business partners and our customers. If creating the framework that’s the envy of the business world captures your imagination, build your career here.
The foundation of what you’ll be doing.
The responsibilities are extensive and complex, but here’s a rough outline.
- Lead development of enterprise and platform-specific data strategies and data architectures
- Take charge of data governance, master data management, metadata management and conceptual data modeling
- Develop platform blueprint strategic directions to that support customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications
- Transform logical data architectures into physical data designs on large or complex system
- Work collaboratively with business and product teams to support changes and implementation
- Provide expertise and guidance in the creation and refinement of agile technical stories for data architecture and development.
- Work across the organization to architect data driven solutions that focus on fulfilling stakeholders needs:
- Lead the translation of business needs into feasible and acceptable data centric semantic layer designs
- Document and present relationships between business entities using Kimball, Inmom and other modern frameworks
- Lead discussions to prioritize and balance technical and business needs of the conceptual and logical data warehouse
- Architect physical data models
- Architect and document a star schema integration layer of the data warehouse
- Architect and document dimensional presentation layer (de-normalized) of the data warehouse
- Lead enhancement of existing models to ensure compliancy with best practices around master data management and a 3 layer architecture across technology platforms
- Oversee design, develop, documentation and articulate architecture of the enterprise data warehouse
- Evaluate reusability of current solutions for additional analysis, while maintaining integrity and confidentiality of information in accordance with a minimum viable product
- Lead discussions to document database standards and procedures for the definition of reference architecture
- Mentor other Engineers on best practices in data warehouse design and implementation, including metadata management, data quality and master data management
Are you up for the challenge?
- Please include any education requirements, such as certifications, undergraduate or master degrees
- [X] years of data architecture and database development experience in a professional environment
- Demonstrated experience leading teams of Data Engineers and Data Architects
- Hands on expertise in developing data architecture for applications using a range of database management systems
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and application development
- College degree, specialized training or equivalent work experience
- 7+years of recent Data Warehouse Architecture experience to build and articulate conceptual, logical and physical dimensional data models, and Start Schema artifacts
- Expert in using standard modeling tools like Erwin, ERStudio
- Experience in delivering solutions using Agile (traditional and SAFe) and supporting tools like Jira or Rally
- Proven expertise in designing well performing solutions with an ability to tune data warehouse objects for efficiency and accuracy
- Experience with architecting solutions across platforms and using multiple data layers presented in a federated schematic layer
- An understanding of Big Data technologies and modern data architectures like Spark and NoSQL structures
- Experience with the following databases: SQL Server, Oracle & Postgres and an understanding of Hive, HBase and Spark
- Experience with the following reporting tools, Microstrategy and Tableau
- Experience with the following development and ETL tools. Informatica and VS
At the core of Data Architecture
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
- Agile Practices
- Database Design
- Programming Languages and Frameworks
- SDLC Methodologies and Practices
- Business Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Coaching and Mentoring
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window:
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Dec 7, 2018, 2:25:06 PM