American Express Careers
Junior Legal Counsel
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Under the direction of the associate counsel, an experienced lawyer, the assistant counsel will provide legal support to the different business units of American Express in the Netherlands, including:
- providing legal advice and support in connection with the company’s card issuing, merchant acquiring and travel business activities
- providing legal advice on different areas of law, such as financial law, general contract law, anti-money laundering law, consumer protection and data privacy law
- oversight of external counsel in legal proceedings
- identifying and providing legal interpretation on material new laws, or material changes in laws, which impact the business activities and affairs of the company
- Drafting and reviewing contracts and providing practical, business-oriented advice to the business units
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Master’s degree in Dutch law
- Distinguished practice experience (2 years); at a law firm or in-house;
- Fluent in written and spoken Dutch and English
- General understanding of applicable EU and Dutch law relating to general contract and consumer law. Understanding of payment services and financial services generally, data protection law, anti-money laundering law and general civil law is a plus
- Proven ability to adopt a business orientated approach, take charge and “get things done”
- Good business understanding and analytical skills
- Ability to set appropriate priorities with clients and deliver results within the established timelines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and strong work ethic;
- Good team player and self-starter
- Willingness to develop a career at American Express and add new subject areas and areas of responsibility to portfolio
Working at American Express.
As a company whose primary mission is to take care of customers, American Express has created a culture with service at its core. They dedicate extensive resources and effort to satisfying and surprising customers with thoughtful, creative and personalized solutions. You’ll find the same level of personal attention, respect and support for their own people as well.
American Express strives to create an environment where people are respected, feel personally and professionally fulfilled, and look forward to coming to work. They empower our people to do the best job possible, while creating a life that’s truly extraordinary.
Are you interested?
For more information and details about this role or information about the application procedure please contact recruitment.support.EMEA@aexp.com
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 24, 2019, 11:09:33 AM