American Express Careers
Financial Support Specialist
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
Every one of our Credit Specialists represent the American Express brand. They take work seriously because they are more than just a voice on the phone, they’re problem solvers and relationship builders. The people you will work with, and the Card Members you will care for, value your passion and unique personality as much as we do.
American Express is a global service company, providing Card Members with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Our Credit department aims to strike the right balance between enabling spend and taking actions to recover balances, prevent fraud and limit exposure for American Express.
In the Financial Difficulties and Bereavement Support team, customer service and empathy are key. You will be working with two kinds of clients; Card Members that are in financial difficulty, who require assistance in maintaining a suitable repayment plan, and bereaved third parties that require sensitive handling of a Card Member’s account. Blended into one team, you will be working with American Express’s vulnerable customer base, exceeding customer service expectations and encouraging continued relationships with the company.
You will be part of a team that delivers world class results, both for Card Members and the business. In your role you will:
- Sensitively deal with Card Members that are experiencing difficulty repaying the company;
- Offer the best payment plan to suit the card member’s needs;
- Liaise with executors and families of our deceased Card Members, providing empathy and support through difficult times;
- Ensure strict ID verification and compliance with data protection to safeguard sensitive accounts;
- Uphold the American Express brand image and customer loyalty through outstanding customer service;
- Work to the highest standards with a balanced delivery of both customer experience and shareholder value;
- Engage with internal partner teams to ensure the right support is provided.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
For this role, prior experience in call centres or credit environments is not necessary. More importantly, you must be:
- An excellent communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills;
- Highly empathetic with an accomplished telephone manner;
- Confident taking initiative and making judgement calls;
- Able to use negotiation and relationship management skills to provide win-win outcomes;
- Highly self-motivated, results-oriented and positive;
- A team player;
- Attention to detail
- Computer Literate
- Well-presented and professional;
- Passionate about American Express and customer service.
Our Brighton office is a 24/7 service centre environment. You must be flexible to work in a shift-based role, on a 35 hour per week rota.
Blue Box Benefits – What’s in it for you?
Our state of the art office in the heart of Brighton provides onsite facilities including a restaurant, coffee bar and gym, designed to put your wellbeing first.
At American Express, you will be part of a thriving and engaged culture where employee engagement and satisfaction ratings consistently place us as one of the best big companies to work for in the UK (Glassdoor Best Places to Work, 2017).
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Nov 22, 2018, 10:39:02 AM