American Express Careers
Analyst-Compliance - Financial Crimes Research Scientist
The Analytics Team is seeking a research/data scientist to apply quantitative, investigative, and analytical techniques to detect money laundering and other financial crimes. The Analytics Team is responsible for supporting Global Financial Crimes Compliance (GFCC) using diverse analytics, developing novel strategies, and working with agility through enterprise data. The team’s core functions include:
- evaluating and optimizing existing transaction monitoring rules, designed to detect suspicious transactional activity
- development of new detection strategies, including use of time series, machine learning, and targeted queries
- responding to ad hoc requests to support business and/or compliance efforts
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading reviews of existing anti-money laundering monitoring rules and compliance-driven reports, developing advanced strategies to detect suspicious transactional activity and behaviors, and researching high-risk criminal behaviors (such as human trafficking and narcotics smuggling) to enhance detection and investigations.
GFCC seeks professional, self-motivated, deadline-driven team players able to work in an ever-changing environment. Individuals must have strong analytical backgrounds, attention to details, the ability to work across disparate datasets, and creativity in the application of data science to the detection of financial crimes. Minimum education/work requirements include one (or more) of the following:
- A bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of two years of professional analytics experience;
- A master's degree or Ph.D in research-driven field.
- Demonstrated intermediate to advanced programming in SQL, Python, SAS, Stata, SPSS, or R (or other relevant programming languages)
- Demonstrated machine learning experience (can include educational training, professionally, and/or external projects such as Kaggle)
- Meticulous attention to details
- Strong communication skills and an ability to effectively communicate complex analytical strategies to diverse audiences
- Creative problem-solver
- Team player comfortable working with others
The following are not required, but a plus:
- Intermediate to advanced Python
- Knowledge of, or familiarity with, Bank Secrecy Act (BSA)/Anti-Money Laundering (AML) compliance, and/or the credit card industry
- Diverse data visualization experience
- Geospatial experience
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 9, 2019, 3:39:57 PM