American Express Careers
At American Express we provide a service of excellence, our customers are our most valuable asset and our teams are the key to achieving this great goal. For over 160 years we continue to grow, proactively responding to the needs and expectations of our customers.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
We seek creative and innovative people, who are willing to join us in the challenges of the business and are committed to providing superior service. In this opportunity the company is looking for an Assistant Counsel to perform in the General Counsel’s Organization business unit of American Express.
This role will be responsible for supporting a business team in Brazil within the Global Network Services (GNS) unit that manages the licensed card issuers and merchant acquirers in Brazil.
- Drafting and negotiation of agreements and related amendments, including licenses, marketing, and vendor agreements, often in dual column format, with both English and Portuguese.
- Providing guidance on interpretation of existing license agreements and applicable regulations.
- Managing filings, responses to inquiries and other interactions with the Brazil Central Bank in respect of Amex’s authorization to operate as payment system in Brazil.
- Monitoring regulatory developments impacting the payments industry in Brazil.
- Drafting network marketing and social media program terms and conditions, privacy statements and participation guidelines in close collaboration with GCO Technology and Digital Law Group colleagues.
- Serving as the liaison with Global Supply Management team regarding GNS network and other local supply vendor contract negotiations.
- Supervising and managing local litigation matters and labor law matters in close collaboration with outside counsel.
- Reviewing legal documents and creating document summaries and inventories.
- Supporting Corporate Secretary, Internal Audit and Operational Risk teams with annual corporate governance and audit activities related to Amex’s Brazilian legal entity.
- Conducting competitive intelligence assessments of industry responses to regulatory initiatives.
- Supporting the business with participation in the local trade industry group, ABECS.
- Supporting the Counsel for GNS-LAC on licensed issuer and acquirer negotiations, regulatory developments and other matters as required.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t live life without it.
- Degree in law required.
- Two (2) to three (3) plus years of legal experience in Brazil with emphasis on corporate/contract law required; background in financial services preferred.
- Fully bilingual English/Portuguese - Spanish a plus.
- Demonstrated competency in: drafting agreements based on standardized templates; negotiating standard agreements with minimal supervision; providing practical, business-oriented advice and solutions; gaining credibility and developing strong working relationships with legal colleagues and business clients; working well in cross-functional team settings; attention to detail; prioritization and handling of multiple tasks; working independently and meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment; regular and prompt client interaction.
- Organizing and keeping track of sensitive documents.
- Proficiency in using Lexis/Westlaw and the Internet for legal and factual research.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and strong work ethic.
- Enthusiasm and interest in learning the dynamic GNS business and in becoming a key member of a high-performing team.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Dec 7, 2018, 10:29:12 AM