American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Big Data
This position will provide the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations for IMDP Big Data platforms. This includes cluster design and configuration, selection and configuration of hardware, software and tools, operational management, performance and capacity metrics, and performance monitoring and tuning. This team will work closely with the Big Data development teams along with our vendor partners to build out and manage the optimal Big Data platform to support our business capabilities.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Work with partner teams to understand requirements and business capability roadmaps.
- Develop the infrastructure roadmap to define the infrastructure plan needed to support business capabilities, leverage new technology, and provide operational excellence.
- Partner with Architects and Engineers to define the proper infrastructure solutions to meet customer requirements and roadmaps.
- Provide the Engineering design and provisioning of the Big Data platform hardware(UCS) and software (hadoop, ELK, splunk, etc.).
- Coordinate provisioning of the physical infrastructure with Data Center Infrastructure Team, Networking teams, and Storage teams.
- Partner with Technical Architects and Engineers to ensure world class performance and availability is delivered with infrastructure deployments.
- Install and manage maintenance of the Big Data operating systems and software components.
- Install and manage maintenance of utility infrastructure needed to support the platforms (LDAP integration, backups, monitoring, auditing, etc.).
- Provide level 2 support for core infrastructure disruptions.
- Ensure proper policies and procedures are followed for production access and change management.
- Collaborate with operation support teams for planned changes and outages.
- Maintain asset management records for infrastructure inventory.
- Comply with enterprise standards and processes.
- Manage vendor relationships regarding hardware and core system software.
- Manage financials for the team and engineering capabilities.
- Identify and drive reengineering opportunities.
- Drive standardization to reduce costs and improve efficiencies.
- Minimum of 10+ years of distributed systems management and support experience.
- Subject matter expert of mid-range infrastructure with a focus on the Big Data platforms and technologies.
- Knowledge and experience with infrastructure provisioning and software maintenance.
- Ability to provide architecture and engineering vision for the portfolio platforms.
- Ability to formulate a strategy and then execute transformation projects to enhance capabilities.
- Excellent communications skills, written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a 24 x7 environment.
- Familiarity with ITIL processes and ability to implement efficient processes for optimal availability at best in class TCO.
- Experience with change and problem processes and tools.
- Financial management discipline.
- Lead team members in multiple geographic locations and time zones.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 17, 2019, 9:37:41 PM