Global Merchant and Network Services (GMNS) is the merchant network of American Express that acquires and maintains relationships with merchants who welcome American Express branded cards. Our goal is to be an indispensable payments partner to our partners while simultaneously delivering differentiated products and services that meet or exceed customer needs and drive revenue growth and premium economics for both merchants and American Express.
The National Client Group within Merchant Services – U.S., is responsible of overseeing the largest and most strategic U.S. – based merchants. Our mission is to be warmly welcomed by merchants, and help them grow. This Every Day Spend Director role is a client management leadership position, with responsibility for overseeing ~20 strategic accounts with over $12B in DBV. Accounts are focused in Oil (e.g. Shell, Exxon) and Convenience (e.g. 7-Eleven) and represent some of the largest merchants for GMNS.
The Director will oversee a team of 3 client managers, and will have general management responsibility, and ownership of the strategy and execution of initiatives pertaining to his / her portfolio. The successful candidate must demonstrate strong relationship management, consultative selling, superb negotiating skills, strategic thought leadership, and execution skills to drive incremental revenue growth. Individual must be a motivated, self-starter, comfortable with identifying and driving new business opportunities, as expansion within these accounts is a primary priority. The Director will focus on establishing, maintaining, and growing long-lasting merchant relationships to further grow American Express share, identify new business, and enhance merchant satisfaction.
Key responsibilities include:
- Setting overall portfolio and industry strategy for the segment, driving profitable charge volume and revenue growth, leveraging in-depth knowledge of merchant business and industry.
- Negotiating key merchant acceptance agreements with some of MS – U.S.’s largest merchants
- Developing innovative partnerships and negotiating profitable deal constructs and card acceptance agreements.
- Safeguarding the merchant relationship, driving NPS and ensuring positive merchant experience across all American Express interactions.
- Cultivating and leveraging relationships across the Blue Box, with Issuers, Pricing, Marketing, GCO, etc. to identify and implement solutions to grow net new volume and expand share within the accounts.
- Experienced leader and relationship manager with proven ability to develop strong client relationships, sell-in programs and initiatives, and demonstrate tenacity to uncover new opportunities to grow
- Outstanding analytical and creative problem solving skills; proven financial acumen
- Strong executive presence with ability to lead and influence senior/C-level discussions with clients
- Strong history of people leadership, with proven ability to develop people and work collaboratively across a wide variety of external and internal partners
- Strong project management skills, with excellent ability to prioritize effectively and drive results
- Outstanding presentation skills, both oral and written
- Energetic and enthusiastic team player and supporter, with strong will to win
- Prior knowledge and / or experience in the Oil industry is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA a plus
- Role requires ~30-40% travel
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 2, 2019, 9:24:26 AM