American Express Careers
Counsel - Advertising, Marketing & Customer Engagement
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
The Advertising, Marketing and Customer Engagement team is seeking a Counsel attorney to provide legal and strategic support to the Global Servicing Network – the group that creates, manages and operationalizes myriad service touchpoints with American Express Card Members.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Provide legal support and strategic advice to business clients in the Global Servicing Network on various Card Member servicing interactions across media (telephone, website, mail, Card Member account portals, etc.)
- Draft and negotiate vendor and technology agreements with key partners that power the service experience for American Express Card Members
- Review and analyze marketing opportunities and content within servicing interactions, including telemarketing
- Work closely with senior business leaders to understand their concerns and challenges, and use your curiosity and creativity to identify and action opportunities
- Generate buy-in and develop strategic partnerships across groups such as Card product business teams, Compliance and Privacy through relationship-building and effective communication
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in New York
- 5+ years of relevant in-house and/or law firm experience
- Knowledge of advertising and marketing laws (specifically FTC regulations and guidelines, state UDAP and CFPB UDAAP) and experience with their practical application to marketing content (offers, claims, disclosures, etc.)
- Significant experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating vendor and service agreements, preferably with a technology component. Additional experience with agreements related to advertising content a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to generate creative and innovative solutions to client issues
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively, in both written and oral format
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10285 or 1500 NW 136th Ave, Sunrise, FL 33323
- Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
- Travel: Little to none
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 15, 2019, 7:35:18 AM