American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Enterprise Architecture
At American Express we place an enormous emphasis on users and usability. We sit at the intersection of commerce and experiences and are rare in our business model where we are one of only a few companies in the world that lead a user’s end to end commerce experience.
With our mix of assets like rewards, benefits, members only perks, we are re-imagining how commerce and experiences converge in a more modern, digital and connected world. As we change the way merchants and their consumers interact with each other, we are looking for talented leaders to define and execute against a very bold vision.
You’ll work among high performing engineering, design and product teams. Among some of the traits we are looking for: deep technical knowledge, set technical goals, contribute to product strategy, stubbornness against settling, bold decision-making, drive architecture decisions, and design internet-scale solutions.
Does the above sound like you?
We enjoy working on hard problems together because the hardest challenges are often the most rewarding.
Help improve small businesses, corporations, consumers to interact in a friction free manner where zero step commerce is default.
We want to create a workplace and product set that is inclusive and reflects the diversity of the cities and countries we serve.
As a Senior Engineer II, you will be responsible for building the next generation tooling.
• Adopt emerging standards while promoting standard methodologies in order to push the limits of what a browser can do.
• Know what it takes to launch products regularly.
• Own your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Launch, iterate and make a difference. Provide front-end coding expertise and be ready to make our products better for our users.
• Design and develop the front ends of user facing products.
Your performance is measured by the impact of the quality and engineering of the products you launch and by your ability to be a part of a high-performing multi-functional team that includes Product, Engineering, Design, Data, Finance, Business Development, and Operations.
QualificationsHere is what we are looking for:
• 3+ years of experience as a Senior Engineer.
• Core skill sets ideally include, but are also not limited to:
· Java 8+
· Junit 4/5 or Spock
· Semantic versioning and conventional commits
· Reactive manifesto
· Dropwizard metrics
• Technical fluency - an ability to clearly describe tradeoffs with users and engineers about certain decisions.
• Highly organized - you are great at research and documenting your insights
• Experience with modern testing frameworks like Jest. Also, a strong focus on writing tests for your own code.
• Strong sense of web design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience, including accessibility.
• Loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
• The ability to set a high bar for your team and empower them to achieve great results
• A “driver” personality - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration.
• User-centricity - examples from your past of product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your users’ problems.
• BA/BS degree in Computer Science, HCI, Design, or equivalent practical experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 8, 2019, 11:52:24 AM