American Express Careers
Counsel, Global Commercial Services
General Counsel’s Organization:
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
An opportunity exists within the legal team supporting American Express Global Commercial Services, which provides a broad range of card and lending products, corporate expense management programs and digital solutions to small, medium, large and multinational companies around the globe. This role supports our B2B Networks and Automation team which integrates with third party payment platforms to facilitate commercial customers’ expense management needs and our U.S. Sales and Account Development teams in their support of the for the Large Market and Global Client Group commercial customers’ entire life-cycle (from underwriting/rating to collections and potential dispute resolution) and all contract negotiations related to those customers. The attorney in this position will work with clients across multiple functional areas (product, sales, marketing, compliance, contracts management, capabilities, technology, credit risk, information management) to launch and enhance products, support contract templates and negotiate highly customized deals. This position is well-suited for someone with a transactional or financing background who has always wanted to work in a fast paced in-house environment supporting rapidly evolving products. Demonstrable experience in the payments or financial services industries and/or drafting complex commercial documentation will be well regarded.
Role & Responsibilities:
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Be the principal legal advisor to the B2B Networks and Automation team and the U.S. Sales and Account Development teams.
- Primary responsibilities include drafting contract documentation, partnering with the team on sales and contracting guidelines, marketing review and advice, and customer management and issue resolution.
- Provide advice and guidance on new product development, feature enhancements and any resulting legal or regulatory implications.
- Support strategic partnership negotiations and deals as needed.
- Support escalations from multiple stakeholders, including contracts management team, operational excellence, compliance or credit risk, on various issues, for example, customer disputes or issue remediation working very closely with the collections strategy and GCO litigation teams.
- Collaborate closely, and develop strong relationships with, colleagues across the General Counsel’s Organization including subject matter experts in anti-trust, litigation, technology, cybersecurity and privacy.
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D. from a highly respected law school
- Qualified to practice law in NY or eligibility to do so
- 6+ years of experience as an attorney with reputable, highly-rated law firms and/or companies
- Excellent drafting and negotiation skills
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills; fits message to audience
- Demonstrable project-management and problem-solving skills; well-developed attention to detail
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, commonsense manner
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements to enhance efficiency and productivity
- Ability to prioritize, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent relationship building and influencing abilities with a collaborative work style
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10080
- Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs
- Travel: Little to none
- Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 15, 2019, 3:09:05 PM