American Express Careers
Senior Software Engineer / Architect - Cloud/ePaaS
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive.
We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high-performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team!
You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering world class Card member experiences across multiple channels, including web service integration, java services, APIs. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers.
- Owns all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications; Performs hands-on architecture, design, and development of systems
- Requirements gathering, analysis, design and development of integration solutions and APIs.
- Communicating to stakeholders and business partners on the solution and the implementation aspects at the technical and/or functional level appropriate for the situation
- Ability to work closely with technical architects and architecture governance technical team for solution development and design reviews.
- Manages and mentors teams of junior and senior engineers through ongoing sprints
- Functions as a senior member of an agile team and helps drive consistent development practices – tools and common components
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
- Works closely with product owners on blueprints and annual planning of feature sets that impact multiple platforms and products
- Typically spends 30-50% of time writing code and testing, and remainder of time managing team and stakeholders through ongoing product/platform release sprints
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Cloud engineering and architectural experience
- Understanding of full stack Java including Java 8 and has experience in coding lambda expressions and other features provided by Java 8.
- Understanding and experience with Vert.x or other reactive programming languages.
- Understanding of non-relational database and relational database with implementation experience in at least one product across these e.g. couchbase.
- Understanding and implementation experience of API’s, micro services, application development frameworks and design patterns on Java.
- Excellent Understanding of cloud hosting solutions like ePaaS, xPaaS, IaaS etc
- Experience in using spring frameworks like Spring Rest, Spring Boot, Spring React etc.
- Understanding of commonly used industry wide design patterns and coding best practices.
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods and works collaboratively within an Agile team environment.
- Experience with design and coding across one or more object oriented platforms and languages.
- Desirable to have experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Application server deployment and configuration experience in JBoss, Tomcat and SpringBoot.
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins and other JVM languages, Reactive Programming a plus.
- Hands-on experience with application design, software development and automated testing Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Current knowledge of payments industry desirable.
- Manages seamlessly across time zones, cultures, and band levels.
- Communicates effectively with Technical, Operational, and Business stakeholders.
- Must be willing and able to express new ideas, concerns and opinions directly to wider team in team meetings via teleconference.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential.
- Must be proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent work experience.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 13, 2019, 10:36:46 PM