American Express Careers
Staff Engineer – Digital Workplace
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
The world’s best colleague digital experience. That’s what we deliver. Everywhere. Every single day. American Express’s global employees and contractors (we call them colleagues) are served by an award-winning Digital Workplace team that enables communication, connection, collaboration and productivity – and we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for someone who has experience working across a broad range of technologies to be a thought-leader and evangelist who can drive the strategic agenda across all teams who build workplace technology within the company.
Who you are:
You think of yourself as a deeply technical person and you’re as comfortable mentoring other engineers on how to write outstanding code as you are thinking about how data flows and enterprise systems need to fit together. You are at home in a matrixed organization and enjoy the challenge of bringing your dynamic partners on board to your vision. You lead by influence. You love to show your skills through measurable results.
The organization we belong to exists to enable American Express colleagues, so you are capable of walking a mile in their shoes and probably harbour a real passion for user experience. Right now, this position doesn’t direct a team of other engineers, but there could be opportunities for this to change in the future.
Are these things you like to do?
- Provide the thought-leadership required to transform an organization from one focused on implementing package software into one that builds its own
- Mentoring product and engineering teams to incorporate industry and American Express standard methodology into the way work is done (e.g. CI/CD, cloud-native applications, single page applications)
- Intervene where when teams are making decisions that are contradictory or going to leave us with a mountain of technical debt and then take measures for others to learn and prevent from occurring again
- Evaluate emerging technology and work out how it might fit into the digital workplace ecosystem to add valuable contributions to the colleague experience
- Help identify, attract, recruit and retain the right talent for the organization
- Work at a highly inclusive company that sincerely embraces flexible working conditions and environments
- A genuine and rare passion to build the world’s best colleague digital experience
- A consistent track record working with a broad set of technologies, allowing you to constructively engage with front-end developers, infrastructure gurus, information security, and UX/UI teams
- Led the way in multiple, large-scale initiatives in a complex enterprise environment, including at least one that focused on workplace (colleague-facing) technology
- The ability to generate excitement, agreement, and followership among your fellow engineers
- A university degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field or equivalent experience
- Experience working with at least two of the following domains: Digital workplace (e.g. unified communications, enterprise mobility, social/intranet), Big data and machine learning, Automation and CI/CD, Modern front-end development stacks, Cloud-native applications
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 20, 2019, 9:53:16 AM