American Express Careers
Counsel - Advertising, Marketing & Customer Engagement
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
The Advertising, Marketing and Customer Engagement team is seeking a Counsel attorney to provide legal and strategic support to business clients across the enterprise (including the Global Advertising & Brand Management and Corporate Affairs & Communications groups) in connection with key Card Member engagement touchpoints and experiential marketing initiatives.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- Provide legal support and strategic advice to business clients on all aspects of event/team/venue sponsorships, Card Member on-site experiences, talent/influencer campaigns and social media content and programs.
- Draft and negotiate novel agreements with media and production companies, agencies, events/venues/teams, brands, celebrity talent and other key partners.
- Review and analyze marketing offers, benefits, and content integrated into Card Member experiences and entertainment.
- Provide legal support and thought leadership on media buying for the enterprise (e.g. media planning, contracting and execution) including as related to privacy and data strategy considerations, as well as native advertising and custom content issues.
- Work closely with business leaders to understand their concerns and challenges, and use your creativity and practical problem solving to quickly action solutions.
- Generate buy-in and develop strategic partnerships across various business unit teams, Compliance and Privacy through relationship-building and effective communication.
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in New York
- 5+ years of relevant in-house and/or law firm experience
- Knowledge of advertising and marketing laws (specifically FTC regulations and guidelines) and experience with their practical application to marketing content (native advertising, offers, claims, etc.)
- Significant experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating various types of marketing, sponsorship and partnership agreements, preferably with a technology component
- Experience with branded entertainment/content and media buying, including privacy and data sharing considerations
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to generate creative and innovative solutions to client issues
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively, in both written and oral format
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10281
- Workplace Flexibility: Potential to work remotely part of the time based on current projects and team needs.
- Travel: Little to none
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Why American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 11, 2019, 4:21:38 PM