American Express Careers
Manager/Senior Manager, Marketing & Program Development – Small Business Saturday & Shop Small
Join the team that runs the powerful annual marketing program at American Express demonstrating our commitment to small businesses and communities: Small Business Saturday (SBS).
The Global Advertising and Brand Management division of American Express is responsible for creating marketplace demand and driving commerce through breakthrough marketing, differentiated partnerships, and innovative programs like SBS. American Express founded SBS back in 2010 to galvanize consumers to support their local communities by shopping in small businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, during a peak holiday shopping weekend. Since that time, we’ve proudly and consistently backed this award-winning program helping to expand its grassroots footprint across the nation and generating a Shop Small movement.
Leading into the 10th anniversary of SBS in November 2019, this Manager/Senior Manager will be a core team member, responsible for three key components of the program to shape its continued growth and impact.
First, this role will represent the voice of the small business owner (SBO) and consumer. This includes defining the strategy to engage these two audiences and the corresponding below-the-line marketing campaigns to activate them.
Second, the role oversees strategic marketing partnerships designed to help engage SBOs and consumers.
Third, he or she will support SBS program development by outlining milestones and deliverables, managing agency relationships, and partnering closely with a 360° cross-functional team (internal and external) to launch a fully integrated plan.
- Develop a robust set of marketing materials SBOs can use to promote their businesses. Create compelling reasons and messages to get consumers (and Card Members) out to shop at small businesses on SBS and beyond.
- Spearhead the strategy, creative development and execution of end-to-end digital, email and printed communications for these two audiences by leveraging the voice of the customer, data and insights.
- Partner with the SBS Digital Products team to define the website experience for SBOs and consumers on ShopSmall.com and through the Small Business Saturday email platform.
- Evolve the SBS and Shop Small partnership strategy, evaluate relevant opportunities with external companies, and execute high-impact partnerships that bring our brand and SBS/Shop Small to life at scale for SBOs and consumers in new, innovative ways.
- Work closely with the SBS Director to develop the annual SBS planning cycle, coordinate team deliverables, foster collaboration, and manage key milestones to move the program forward.
- Partner in the collection, analysis and reporting of key program metrics against set objectives.
- Create and present marketing plans in a strategic, clear manner to internal and external audiences, including strategic partners and American Express executives.
- Collaborate with a broad set of internal stakeholders and external agency partners to leverage best practices from the worlds of advocacy, marketing, social/digital, advertising, media, PR and brand identity to deliver best work and continuously innovate American Express, SBS and Shop Small offerings.
- Maintain pulse on internal and external marketing offers to SBOs, shifts in consumer shopping behaviors, cultural trends, and community development initiatives to continue to be on the cutting edge of programming.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in marketing or related discipline.
- Proven track record managing 360° marketing programs, marketing channels, cross functional teams and external agencies.
- Impeccable organization and project management skills: Ability to take a highly complex, multi-faceted project and break it down into actionable steps and move them forward with a cross-functional team.
- Ability to move projects forward in an efficient manner with minimal oversight.
- Experience developing and executing winning marketing partnerships with external parties.
- High energy self-starter that is team-oriented, with an entrepreneurial spirit and flexibility to thrive in a fluid work environment.
- Must be able to balance “big picture” thinking with tactical execution.
- Ability to work under pressure within compressed timelines.
- Maintain balance with multiple priorities, while demonstrating strong leadership/personal presence.
- High degree of interpersonal skills and ability to work across various marketing disciplines.
- Strong communication skills, both in crafting and delivering presentations. Microsoft PowerPoint mastery a plus.
- Focus on innovation and constant appetite to know and learn more across the industry – from SBO offerings and insights, to consumer trends and experiential marketing.
- Strong measurement and analytical skills.
- Location: 200 Vesey St, New York, NY 10080
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jan 11, 2019, 5:25:52 PM