American Express Careers
Apprenticeship - Junior Software Engineer
You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
Our Apprenticeship Programme has been designed to nurture our next generation of technical specialists and leaders. We’ll provide you with continuous training and development, 20% in house classroom based training with 80% on the job learning. With a tailored development plan and opportunities to increase your skills throughout, you'll receive support in your placement team from your leader, buddy and mentor to aid you in securing a longer term role in one of our teams, a competitive salary along with other generous benefits.
As an Apprentice Software Engineer in our Technology organisation, you will be part of a small, co-located, Agile engineering team. You will be given the training to be able to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and implement them.
You will gain hands-on experience of coding in your team, and furthermore you’ll have the opportunity to take part in activities such as networking with external start-ups, competing in hackathons and supporting local community work.
By working with American Express employees and external training providers you will be given the training and support to be able to do the following:
- Develop Software as part of a team.
- Contribute to design, development, troubleshooting, debugging, evaluating, modifying, deploying and documenting software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
You’ll undertake a Level 4 Software Developer Apprenticeship as part of your role.
- Function as an active member of an agile team through consistent development practices (tools, common components, and documentation)
- Debug basic software components and identify code defects for remediation
- Provide support for ongoing production application availability
- Review requirements/ user stories and corresponding designs
- Contribute to software builds from software source code management repository
Participate in code reviews and automated build script testing.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Closing date for applications is 16th April 2019 and should you be shortlisted the Discovery Day will take place on the 16th May 2019.
- A Levels preferably grade B or above (or equivalent ie BTEC) in STEM related subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths)
- Some prior coding knowledge/experience in at least one programming language
- Fluent English communication
- Strong passion for technology
- Committed to learning new techniques, skills and frameworks
- Good communication skills, proactive, selfmotivated and positive attitude
- Ability to work independently and within a team framework.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team onor 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 5, 2019, 7:28:14 AM