American Express Careers
Business Development Manager, Joint Venture
Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
The Joint Venture EMEA organisation manages the Joint Ventures (“JV”) that American Express operate in Switzerland, Middle East and Saudi Arabia. The JVs issue a broad range of consumer, corporate and small business cards and acquire merchants on the American Express network. Through these partnerships, the organisation provides exciting and innovative new products in JV markets, enhances merchant coverage and strengthens the corporate business’ value proposition and the American Express brand. Our team’s role is to bring American Express to the JV markets and back them to enable their success.
This Manager position is based in London and is responsible for business development activities for our JV in Switzerland, Swisscard. Swisscard is our exclusive issuer and acquirer in the market and operates leveraging the American Express corporate and merchant platforms. Being the largest of the EMEA JVs and an important contributor to our overall European business, Swisscard is a strategically important partnership for American Express. As an insourced partner working across our three lines of business (LOBs), the role offers a broad range of experiences and opportunities to work across LOBs, functional groups and Centres of Excellence. The successful candidate will be targeted on growth of key business metrics such as Billings, Locations in force, Cards in Force, New Cards Acquired, as well as successful delivery of key projects.
The primary objective of the role is to provide business development support to the JV by leveraging American Express’s strategies, products, capabilities and relationships to drive business growth. The successful candidate will also play a critical part in the day to day business management of this strategic Joint Venture partnership. The position will report to the Swisscard Business Development Director responsible for the Swisscard relationship.
The Business Development manager will be responsible for the following key activities and objectives:
- Identification of new business opportunities or cost saving initiatives across the Consumer, Commercial and Merchant line of business including conducting the necessary analysis to build a business case in support of its execution.
· Commercial ownership and management of the Partner contractual relationships including the Financial Services Agreement (FSA) and other contractual agreements with the Joint Venture
- Bringing new concepts, products, network capabilities and ideas to the Joint Venture Partner to accelerate growth of the American Express business. Sharing best practices and providing thought leadership and training on Amex insights, capabilities and tools
- Supporting cross line of business opportunities with new clients and merchants working with the Global Merchant Services and Global Commercial Services organisations
- Supporting the Swisscard leadership team in the assessment of corporate development initiatives
- Providing status updates to the senior leadership and JV as appropriate and supporting preparation of materials for monthly/quarterly updates, senior briefings, etc.
Product Ownership of Swisscard’s Platforms & Capabilities:
· Leadership of the Merchant Infrastructure Transformation (MIT) initiatives. This involves definition of the merchant platform and capability strategy and engagement with the Global Merchant & Network Services organisation, technology teams and other relevant stakeholders to develop the merchant capability roadmaps for Switzerland.
- Working closely with the JV marketing team by providing sound business and financial rational to support delivering product launches, marketing campaigns etc,
- Support the Joint Venture Commercial Director on a range of activities (e.g. RFP responses, issue investigations etc) aimed at growing the Commercial business within Swisscard
- Collaborate with functional and central teams across the organisation to support a range of projects aimed at driving growth of the business as well as ensuring correct governance of the Joint Venture.
- Develop and actively manage strong relationships with the Joint Venture management team in order to effectively influence and gain support from relevant stakeholders to drive growth of the American Express business with the Joint Venture
- Actively manage and own relationship with internal stakeholders across all lines of business that support the Joint Venture (Finance, Legal, Compliance, Network, Controllerships, Partner Business Solutions and others)
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
• Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence at all levels internally and at the partner
• Strong understanding of the card industry, including and solid financial understanding of all revenue and expense drivers (hence overall P&L) of consumer, corporate and merchant businesses
• Proven track record in identifying, engaging in and launching new opportunities
• Highly resilient and independent, with an ability to master a complex brief, and drive negotiations and results in challenging business environment
• Good understanding of merchant platforms and infrastructure and experience in working with technology teams to define platform capability roadmap
• Strong analytical and numerical skills and ability to gather information through multiple channels, execute analysis and extract meaningful insights
• Planning and organizing skills and ability to manage a diverse range of projects, topics and stakeholders
• Graduate degree, MBA preferred
• Cultural sensitivity
• Ability to travel ~15% of the time
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 18, 2019, 9:42:43 AM