American Express Careers
Junior Lawyer And Assistant Corporate Secretary
American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more. We’re committed to becoming the world’s most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves. In Russia American Express operates through a fully licensed banking entity which also acts as a local payment system operator.
We currently have a requirement for an ambitious lawyer who has proven experience providing excellent legal support to senior lawyers and business leaders to join the Russian legal department based in Moscow.
Under the direction of the Market Counsel for Russia and CIS the assistant counsel will provide legal and corporate secretarial support to the different business units of American Express across Russia and CIS including:
- Providing legal advice and support in connection with the company’s card issuing and merchant acquiring activities
- Providing legal advice on different areas of law, including corporate law, general contract law, financial and banking regulation, payment systems regulation, anti-money laundering, and data privacy
- Providing corporate secretarial support including drafting minutes of the company’s management bodies, be responsible for legally required filings to the Central Bank and other authorities
- Providing support in respect of drafting and/or reviewing internal banking policies and procedures as well as administrative assistance to the legal department
- Assisting from the legal side on the launch of new products by the bank
- Oversight and management of external counsel
- Monitoring of relevant legislative developments at the domestic (and, occasionally, international) level and proactive analyzing potential impact of such developments and providing thought leadership in advising on their application to the business
- Drafting and reviewing contracts and providing practical, business-oriented advice to the business units
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Your qualifications and personal attributes:
- Interest to develop in the areas of payments, banking and financial regulation. Working knowledge of applicable Russian law ideally in all or some of the following areas: banking regulation, payment systems regulation, mandatory banking reporting to the Central Bank, sanctions regulations (both local and international), competition law, anti-money laundering and data protection
- Interest to learn Central Bank’s reporting systems as applicable to banks (including relevant formats, software and tools)
- Prior experience in corporate law or corporate secretarial work
- Prior experience with commercial contracts and drafting customer facing T&Cs
- Distinguished practice experience (preferably at least 3 years) at a law firm or in-house. Exposure to international environment or experience at ILF is preferred (but not required)
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Russian law
- Solid analytical skills and ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and client’s expectations
- Strong relationship skills with proven ability to adopt a commercial, business orientated approach, take charge and “get things done”
- Able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively in Russian and English with clients, senior management and external parties, both orally and in writing. Good drafting skills in English required
- Ability to seamlessly work in a matrix structure and the willingness to add new subject areas and areas of responsibilities to portfolio
- Excellent technical and business skills including contract drafting and budget management
- Able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently with minimal supervision
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 12, 2019, 5:52:49 AM