American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - IMDP
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
American Express Big Data Platforms and Systems Engineering (BDP) team is responsible for ensuring reliability of the enterprise big data warehouse and the success of the various critical initiatives that depend on it.
We’re seeking a Senior Engineer who possesses deep technical and analytical skills and can guide and work with a team of strong engineers. Our engineers “know” big data and are abreast with latest technologies. They’re able to quickly assess a problem and provide good solutions. Other than just technical expertise, they also display good judgement and intuition honed by learning from past experience.
This position suits someone who is a polyglot programmer, good at working with multiple teams, is passionate about coding, metrics, has understanding of 12 factor application, containerizing while maintaining same levels of operational metrics and code quality, prefers to look at open source code of various projects and a go getter who is expert at extending/modifying open source per needs.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- Contribute in an agile team. Driving release of new features on the platform by working with the product and technical leadership.
- Formulate and enforce best practices, ensure great test coverage for all projects.
- Incorporate DevOps practices in day to day work, driving it and implementing it. Ensure Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery for all the projects owned by your team.
- Refactor, re-engineer and possibly simplifying codebase wherever appropriate, to adhere to high levels of operational metrics and quality.
- Lead automation by building tools that makes user’s and support team’s life easy and removes the need for manual interventions.
- Lead proof of concepts on new tools and technologies to assess their feasibility for the Amex big data platform & cloud enablement
- Support and help deliver critical initiatives that rely on the Amex Enterprise Big Data Warehouse.
- Design, gather and present quality metrics to quantify the benefit of all the changes on the platform.
Are you up for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred
- 6+ years of software development experience in: Java, Python, Go, nodejs/angularjs/react
- 6+ years of Linux Experience. Ideally you have contributed to OpenSource projects
- 2+ years of experience with CICD tools, metrics and reporting tools, Elastic stack, splunk, etc.
- Preferably, 2+ Years of Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Mapreduce, YARN, Hive, Zookeeper etc.
- Preferably, 2+ Years of Experience with NoSQL technologies such as HBase, Cassandra, Redis, memcache etc
- Preferably, experience with container technologies/runtimes (docker, rkt, k8s, swarm etc), and gathering/reporting operational metrics from these runtimes
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and challenges and articulate solutions
- Willingness to learn new technologies and exploit them to their optimal potential
- Takes accountability for the success of the team achieving their goals, drives strategy, challenges status quo to come up with creative ideas & takes the team along with him.
At the core of Software Engineering
Every member of our team must be able to demonstrate the following technical, functional, leadership and business core competencies, including:
Programming Languages and Frameworks
Business Product Knowledge
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 1, 2019, 4:53:52 PM