American Express Careers
Server Side API Engineer
Don’t just have a great idea, build it.
We’re looking for Server side API Engineers to work on Mobile application Service Layer that will be used by tens of millions of American Express cardholders around the world. We want someone with strong technical skills and creativity. Should enjoy solving tough problems and working with new technologies.
You should not be shy about sharing your ideas, and be obsessive about user experience and beautiful code. You’ll be part of the Mobile Engineering team whose mandate is to develop new products and platforms for American Express customers.
Mobile Engineering’s aim is to build interactive experiences at all touch points of a consumer's journey whether before, at, or after the time of purchase. You’ll be working in a fast-paced environment with the stability of working for a Fortune 100 company. Your primary responsibilities will be to work on a small team of engineers developing mobile products. You should be familiar with modern software development methodologies, and be able to dive deep and rapidly iterate on ideas despite ambiguity.
The Mobile Engineering team will grow significantly in a very short time period and to assist this growth we are actively looking for an Engineering Director to manage the whole division, Software Managers, iOS engineers as well as Android Engineers.
- Contribute to the design, architecture, and development of Sever side APIs that are elegant, efficient, secure, highly available, and maintainable
- Works closely with other developers (within the team and outside the team), and product owners to ensure technical compatibility and user satisfaction
- Contribute insights into ways to improve our processes and tools
- Be highly motivated and maintain a positive, “can-do” attitude in a fast moving environment
- Follow and help cultivate consistent development best practices
- Collaborates with project manager and other software developers to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain the Server side APIs
- Provides thought-leadership regarding implementation best practices
- Assists in estimation and assessment of feasibility of features
- Foster a collaborative spirit across multiple teams
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- University degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Technology or related field.
- Knowledge of developing trends and emerging standards in mobile apps (RxJava, Kotlin, etc), mobile payments, and wearables
- Significant experience in API/Web Service Development and experience in Java/J2EE/Web Development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Familiar with the complete software development life cycle (e.g. requirements, analysis, design, implementation, testing, and documentation) and execution models (e.g. Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Great knowledge of Java design principles, patterns, and best practices
- Excellent technical knowledge of Java, J2EE, Spring and RESTful API development
- Thorough understanding of JSON, XML, SOAP, HTTP, web services technologies, and data structure fundamentals, with experience in multi-threaded programming
- Experience with build (using Gradle, Maven, Ant, etc.) and deployments on application servers (like Websphere, Weblogic)
- Experience working with testing libraries (like Junit, Mockito)
- Familiar with Continuous Integration/Deployment (using Jenkins, Maven, JMeter, etc.)
- Knowledge of the open-source Java ecosystem and the libraries available for common tasks
- Understanding of code versioning using git, github and gitflow
- Understanding of accessibility and security compliance
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable enterprise application
- Experience in creation and review of software and architecture designs
- Experience with Kotlin is a plus
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees’ total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 7, 2019, 7:02:51 AM