American Express Careers
Senior Java Engineer – Cross Border Payments
Don’t just follow digital trends, help create one.
We are looking for a high performing and enthusiastic Senior Software Engineer to join our Cross Border Payments technology team at American Express in Burgess Hill.
This role will partner closely with our product owners within collaborative, collocated scrum teams, in an environment that values interesting technical challenges, uses standard methodologies and design approaches and prioritises your professional development.
Your primary software development experience will be using Java Technologies to build a suite of Spring based RESTful micro-services on a scalable cloud infrastructure.
We would request technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team.
- Writes clean, tested and monitored scalable code.
- Works with Product Owners to prioritise features for ongoing sprints.
- Works with Quality Engineers to ensure automated test scripts are incorporated for new features.
- Performs all technical aspects of software development for assigned applications, including developing prototypes, writing new code and crafting API's.
- Designs and builds integration components and interfaces in collaboration with Architects and Infrastructure Engineers as necessary.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Meaningful, large scale software development (preferable Java 8 and above) in a professional environment.
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing.
- University Degree in computer science, computer science engineering, related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience in Agile techniques, preferably with BDD and TDD and pair programming.
- Understands full stack environments, distributed (multi-tiered) systems and relational databases.
- Great collaboration and communication skills across all cultures and levels, and passionate about keeping up to date with new technologies.
Some of the following experience would also be desirable:
- Knowledge of Spring, REST, Cucumber, JPA, Unit testing, Mocking frameworks, Oracle DB SQL, reactive architecture and functional programing.
- Current front end web development skills such as HTML5, React, CSS.
- Cloud experience, for example Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift, Linux and service discovery tools.
- Experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and Dynatrace.
- Experience developing RESTful API’s and micro-services and understanding of Domain Driven Design
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Current knowledge of payments industry, financial services or FinTech.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 00800 83 000038 (free phone, subject to individual carrier charges). For Russia based candidates on 810 800 83 000038.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 12, 2019, 10:48:51 AM