American Express Careers
Campus Undergraduate – 2019 Finance Sophomore Summer Leadership Internship
American Express Finance Sophomore Summer Leadership Program– 2019 Finance Summer Internship
As part of the
Finance organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, we are looking
for underrepresented minority sophomore candidates with a strong-work ethic,
intellectual curiosity, ability to build relationships, and an interest in
financial services to be part of a summer leadership program.
Finance is at the center of all key decisions that help grow our business and uphold our reputation as one of the premier finance organizations in the world.
Whether you’re working with a business unit focused on the consumers, small businesses or major corporations, you’ll have the opportunity and resources available to make an impact. It sounds exciting because it is. Explore a Finance summer internship at American Express and earn the trust and respect of our customers and colleagues every day. The Finance functions at American Express include:
Controllership – Partner with all business units and staff groups across American Express to ensure financial integrity, timely and accurate financial reporting and a strong control environment. Provide accounting guidance for product launches and financial impact of deal structures.
Corporate Planning & Analysis– Drive the key business-planning processes and strategic projects across American Express. Analyze monthly and quarterly results and forecasts to assess short and long term strategies and priorities. Interpret results and trends, identify risks and opportunities, and communicate outcomes to Senior Management.
Global Decision Support – Help influence and drive decisions by providing thought leadership and financial analysis to all of the revenue generating business units and key operational groups at American Express. Provide financial expertise in selection and optimization of investments. Leverage analytical tools to gather and manipulate data for strategic insights.
Global Treasury – Lead the company’s capital assessment processes such as CCAR and Basel, and manage capital distribution strategies through dividends and share repurchases. Oversees and manages investment portfolios, conducts interest rate and foreign exchange hedging activities, issues debt in the capital markets to fixed income investors.
What type of work can you expect to do in Finance at American Express?
- Provide best-in-class analysis and decision support to the Finance organization
- Learn how to articulate decisions clearly and gain buy-in from stakeholders across the business
- Gather and analyze information from a wide array of sources; identify trends and articulate how those trends impact our businesses
- Obtain a comprehensive understanding of the business and its needs
- Hone analytical acumen, communication skills and the ability to tailor complex messages to the appropriate audience
Here are the skills and experience we are looking for. Do these describe you?
- Ability to initiate and drive change management processes
- Strategic thought leadership skills and creativity
- Financial and analytical skills with an eye towards developing recommendations to drive growth for our businesses
- A strong work-ethic and robust interpersonal skills, showcasing the ability to build trust-based relationships within finance team and with business partners across locations / geographies
- Ability to learn our business model and its key financial drivers
- Programming skills a plus
- Sophomores who plan to graduate in Spring 2021
American Express’ heritage was built on service and has been sustained by innovation. Through our evolution from an express mail business in 1850, to one of the world’s largest card issuers by purchasing volume and a digital innovator, we’ve never been afraid to explore new possibilities and embrace the changing marketplace.
From our high employee Satisfaction ratings to our many workplace awards, American Express is consistently recognized as a great place to work by people around the world. We offer talented individuals challenging work with purpose by embracing both innovation and tradition. As our company has grown and evolved, sometimes reinventing our business outright, we have never strayed from the customer-service ethos and values on which the company was built –trust, security, integrity, quality, good citizenship, respect and customer commitment.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Feb 13, 2019, 3:19:43 PM