American Express Careers
Senior UX Designer - Global Commercial Services
UX, CX, UI, IA, OMG! We don't care what you call yourself. What matters is that you are a designer obsessed with the emotional and functional aspects of user experiences you help create.
At American Express, the Senior UX Designer wears a lot of hats. You need to be a user experience expert, closeted product designer, curious visionary, mobile master, an expressive presenter and a trusted team player all rolled into one. You will join a growing Commercial design team that works with product partners to develop innovative solutions that work across a variety of digital touch-points. You will be the user advocate from concept to launch, understanding target audiences' needs, tasks, and goals and translating them into digital experiences.
Ideally, you are a problem solver with a passion for translating complex problems into elegant design solutions and being the design voice in a crowded room. Is that you? If so, keep reading.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Delivering future-thinking, customer-focused designs
Providing the user experience perspective to American Express product partners
Leading a design workstream and provide art direction for junior designers
Co-lead ideation and create innovative concepts that meet the product’s business objectives and requirements while helping our customers achieve their goals
Prioritize and delegate tasks to other Designer
Standing in front of a room of colleagues to present and defend your decisions with clear explanations, analytics to back it up, and clever reasoning skills
Understanding of an agile, collaborative process and how to execute when the time comes
Speaking multiple “languages” while working closely with creative, product, business, strategy and tech from intake to launch and beyond – this means being able to see the big picture, and figure out the small details simultaneously
Creating POV/review presentations on any user experience, user planning or other UX related topic with appropriate supporting research
Ensure quality and consistency of UX deliverables including developing site maps, process flows, wireframes, functional specifications; preparing and conducting user validation and/or usability testing sessions and other forms of qualitative and quantitative customer research; and developing user profiles, personas and scenarios
- 4+ years of experience designing digital interfaces
- Has been the user experience lead on several major enterprise-level web site projects, from start to finish
- Shows leadership examples and user experience documentation on several major enterprise-level web site development efforts
- Knowledge in experience planning, conducting and performing user experience study activities such as one-on-one interviews, paper-prototyping, concept testing, card sorting, surveys, usability testing, etc. as well as evaluating and compiling the results
- Experience creating style guides, pattern libraries, and other design solutions that drive design across large organizations
- Experience in information design, interface design, flowcharting, storyboarding, human factors or human computer interaction and usability
- Knowledge of current digital technologies and interactive capabilities across devices
- Thrive in a delivery-focused environment
- Bachelors degree in Design or related field
- Prefers sketching first, computer later
- Have a current understanding of responsive design, mobile interfaces and content management systems
- Be well read in the masters: Krug, Morville/Rosenfeld, Cooper, Nielsen, etc.
- Have a good understanding of general marketing and advertising principles
- Have strong computer skills and firm grasp of Adobe Creative Suite, protyping tools (Balsamiq, Sketch, Omnigraffle), the Microsoft Office product suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 13, 2019, 6:40:34 PM