American Express Careers
Back End - Engineer
At American Express we place an enormous emphasis on users and usability. We sit at the intersection of commerce and experiences and are rare in our business model where we are one of only a few companies in the world that lead a user's end to end commerce experience.
- Creative problem-solving
- We enjoy working on hard problems together because the hardest challenges are often the most rewarding.
- Craft the world you want
- Help improve small businesses, corporations, consumers to interact in a friction free manner where zero step commerce is default.
- Welcoming for everyone
- We want to create a workplace and product set that is inclusive and reflects the diversity of the cities and countries we serve.
- Adopt emerging standards while promoting standard methodologies in order to push the limits of what a browser can do.
- Know what it takes to launch products regularly.
- Own your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Launch, iterate and make a difference. Provide front-end coding expertise and be ready to make our products better for our users.
- Significant experience as a Senior Engineer.
- Core skill sets ideally include, but are also not limited to:
- Java 8+
- Junit 4/5 or Spock
- Semantic versioning and conventional commits
- Reactive manifesto
- Dropwizard metrics
- Technical fluency - an ability to clearly describe tradeoffs with users and engineers about certain decisions.
- Highly organized - you are great at research and documenting your insights
- Experience with modern testing frameworks like Jest. Also, a strong focus on writing tests for your own code.
- Strong sense of web design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience, including accessibility.
- Loves dealing with fast pace, changing needs, and limited resources.
- The ability to set a high bar for your team and empower them to achieve great results
- A "driver" personality - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery while balancing the need for great collaboration.
- User-centricity - examples from your past of product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your users' problems.
- University degree in Computer Science, HCI, Design, or equivalent practical experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Health care scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 14, 2019, 4:17:02 AM