American Express Careers
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Global Digital Acquisition organization within Mobile & Web Engineering is looking for talented backend engineers to join our engineering group.
In this role, you will use your extensive knowledge of Web application development and API design to build a variety of technical capabilities for internal and external users. You will create performant, highly available, mission-critical web applications to power user experiences in the digital acquisition platform.
If you were to join our team, these are the kinds of things you'd do:
- Analyze feature requests and prioritize business, technical, compliance and maintenance activities with product owners
- Work with architects to devise solutions for business and technical needs
- Collaborate with product owners to understand business needs and conceive features to address them
- Solve production issues in collaboration with our production support team
- Review colleagues' code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability
- Help our production support team address issues encountered in production and fix defects when discovered
- Continuously learn about new technologies and help keep the entire group abreast of industry developments and evolving best practices
Requirements for this position:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- 1-4 years of software development experience, to a large extent using Java
- Strong Java fundamentals (including Java 8 features)
- Hands-on experience building public REST APIs
- Hands-on experience building browser applications using ES6 or a later version
- Hands-on experience building browser applications with one or more of the following component-based frameworks: React, Vue, Angular, Ember, or Polymer
- Hands-on experience building web layouts with HTML5 and CSS
- Hands-on experience with Node-based developer tools like Grunt, Babel, and Webpack
- Hands-on experience with Git and collaborative workflows (gitflow and other branching models, pull request-based code reviews)
Also critical to your success:
- The insight to notice problems in how we work, and the initiative to fix them
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Hands-on experience with popular scripting languages like Node JS, Ruby and Python
- Strongly-held opinions on the Java ecosystem
- Experience using other JVM languages (Closure, Scala, Kotlin)
- Experience with DDD (Domain Driven Design)
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
- Contribution to open source projects
- Building and maintaining personal projects in public repositories like GitHub
- Building native mobile device applications using React Native or similar "non-native" toolset
- Winner or joint-winner of hackathon-like events relevant to experience
- Hands-on experience or interest in user experience (UX) and/or user interaction (UI) design
- Solid understanding of data security including session-based/token-based authentication, multi-layered security and defense against known attacks such as SQL injection
- Basic familiarity with shell scripting and Unix system programming
- Comfort programming in a Unix-based environment
- Familiarity with agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories and development flows using continuous delivery, and automated testing
Why American Express
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window:
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 5, 2019, 11:17:39 AM