American Express Careers
Senior Software Engineer - ReactJS, Java, J2EE, NoSQL, CI/CD
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team! You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering projects platform supporting our global customer base.
Our Engineers that join our Technologies team will be assigned to one of several exciting teams that are responsible for development and management of business critical platforms. You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering projects platform supporting our global customer base. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers. Our Software Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers.
• Own all technical aspects of software development architecture, for the assigned applications
• Perform hands-on software development, typically spending about 50% of time writing code, API specs, doing proof of concepts, conducting code reviews and testing in ongoing sprints
• Drive consistent development practices - tools and common components
• Develop deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms within the supported domains
• Maintain quality and ensure responsiveness of applications
• Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team to design and launch new features
• Maintain code integrity and organization
• Work with graphic designers and convert designs to visual elements
• Understand and implement security and data protection
• Work with technical product managers contributing to blueprints, and assisting with annual planning of feature sets
• Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technology to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Purpose: Create a more powerful and personal customer experience by designing and developing relevant software applications across the entire technology stack.
Critical Factors to Success (Outcome Driven):
• Drive cross functional development on entire technology stack for a company to provide consistent application user experience
• Ensure ease of switching between front end and back end development which results in saving time and money as complexities and problems can be solved by the same person
• Enhance design structure leading to speed to market: Coding and the design of the site s/he can have a view from above and prevent slip ups that come up during development
• Put enterprise thinking first, connect the role’s agenda to enterprise priorities and balance the needs of customers, partners, colleagues & shareholders.
• Lead with an external perspective, challenge status quo and bring continuous innovation to our existing offerings
• Demonstrate learning agility, make decisions quickly and with the highest level of integrity
• Lead with a digital mindset and deliver the world’s best customer experiences every day
12 – 18 yrs experience across
• Back-end programming languages using Java, J2EE
• Database: SQL Server, MYSQL, Oracle, NoSQL
• Continuous integration/deployment in an Agile Framework
• Multi-threading programming, Data structures
Bachelor’s Degree in CS Or CSE or Equivalent
• Strong analytical & strategic thinking skills
• Ability to interpret technical /business objectives and challenges
• Porting/Software Configuration
• Agile Methodologies
• Software development/ testing
• Knowledge of open source frameworks and libraries
• Good understanding of networking protocols and stacks
• Product Engineering Knowledge
• Knowledge of end-to-end customer journey in analytics
• Platform engineering knowledge
• Back-end programming languages using Java, J2EE, Python
• REST APIs
• DB’s both relational (Oracle) and NoSQL (Redis, Cassandra, etc.)
• Messaging systems like Solace, Kafka, JMS, etc.
• Understanding of server-side languages (Jade, EJS, Jinja, etc)
• Cloud message APIs and usage of push notifications
• Source control (Git,Mercurial, SVN, Bitbucket, Svn, Stack overflow, etc.)
• Continuous Integration (Jenkins, Bambo)
• Infrastructure Automation (Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
• Container Concepts (LXD, Docker)
• Orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos, Swarm)
• Cloudmunch, Cloudbees, Drone.io, Wercker, GIT Hub, Stackoverflow
• Machine Learning, Big Data technologies, such as Spark, Hadoop, Cornerstone will be highly preferred
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 4, 2019, 8:44:06 AM