American Express Careers
Do you have the ability to put together unique cutting-edge customer facing solutions that increase business value and customer engagement by leveraging strong architectural and UX principles and that are data driven? Do you have a unique combination of deep technical knowledge, business acumen and strong interpersonal skills to help influence and drive results across a diverse organization.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative payment products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media, join our transformation team!
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
- Serving as a core member of an engineering team that designs and develops software applications
- Owning the designs of pieces of the systems, accounting for reliability and availability including identifying and handling failure modes
- Writing code and unit tests, working on API specs, automation, and conducting code reviews and testing, and documenting processes
- Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast-track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Working with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- 7-10 years of software development experience, and preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline.
- Team player and a hands-on engineer.
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior engineers.
- Experience in designing and implementing highly scalable, low latency Java-based applications.
- Hands on experience in multi-threading programming.
- Working knowledge of http(s), tcp/ip, and ssh protocols.
- Basic high availability techniques and implementation knowledge.
- Practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems.
- Staying in touch with industry standards and current technologies is expected.
- Hands-on experience in implementing web applications and API services using REST.
- Experience in profiling / performance analysis of applications.
- Core competencies in distributed technologies including Java, Spring, APIs (REST, SOAP), JSON, XML, Kafka, JDBC, DB2/Oracle, Couchbase, Vert.x, Spring Boot, Spring Batch, JUnit, Jenkins, and Maven.
- Commitment to software practices of continuous Integration, automated/repeatable testing, and collaborative work environments.
- Ability to think abstractly and deal with ambiguous/under-defined problems.
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies and takes pride in how fast they develop working software.
- Experience working with streaming solutions is highly desirable (preferably Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams).
- Experience with JBoss / Websphere is desirable.
- Hands on experience in the full stack software development is desirable.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 12, 2019, 1:04:29 PM