American Express Careers
Back End Engineer
- Explore a wide variety of programming languages, architectural patterns and infrastructure technologies to determine fit for the platform
- Work in a cross-functional team with other engineers to design, build, test and deploy software components enabling platform capabilities
- Review colleagues' code with an eye toward performance, reliability and maintainability
- Help our production support team address issues encountered in production and fix defects when discovered
- Continuously learn about new technologies and help keep the entire group abreast of industry developments and evolving best practices
- Mentor other engineers and be mentored in turn.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
- 1-4 years of software development experience in multiple project environments
- Strong Java fundamentals (including Java 8 features)
- Hands-on experience building components of service-oriented architectures using REST APIs and RPC protocols
- Working knowledge of enterprise architecture and integration patterns
- Working knowledge of Unix system programming
Also critical to your success:
- Familiarity with and desire to work using agile methodologies and practices such as Scrum/Kanban, iterations, user stories and development flows using continuous delivery, and automated testing
- A drive to stay up-to-date with the latest web architecture technology including language innovations, containerization, storage technology and runtime problem solving
- The ability to see and to understand the larger context in which your team works and to craft solutions within that context
- Adaptability to changes in product requirements, organizational structures and business conditions
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring quality craftsmanship
- An open, collaborative spirit
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Experience building and operating production systems using at least one of the following languages: Scala, Kotlin, Go, Rust, C#
- Hands-on experience with popular scripting languages like Ruby and Python
- Familiarity with the most common web application security issues and how to defend against them
- Experience with Domain-Driven Design (DDD)
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 26, 2019, 9:50:51 AM