American Express Careers
Manager, Payments Consultant
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Payments Consulting Group plays a vital role in driving the success of Global Merchant Services in the Australian market by being the voice of our external partners; merchants, processors and vendors. This high-impact, high-visibility role will work directly with our external partners and internally across Global Merchant Services and other lines of business within the Amex organization to identify and deliver value through payment solutions that drive premium economics and a better customer experience. American Express depends on the Payments Consulting team to enable card acceptance and identify and implement products and services, frequently in customer-facing situations.
The role of the Payments Consultant sits within the Global Strategy & Capabilities team and helps to execute GMS’ global strategy to deliver a best-in-class premium merchant member experience that will get merchants to not only accept Amex, but openly welcome and recommend us to their customers. To achieve this, Payments Consulting focuses on delivering merchant and market technical enablements to ensure a simpler, safer, faster and more reliable E2E merchant transactional processing experience. More specifically, Payments Consulting helps by enhancing processing capabilities, remediating risks and costs, addressing compliance concerns , and delivering other value-added services.
As a Payments Consultant for the Australian market, interpersonal, communication, influencing, negotiation and relationship management skills are important for success in this team’s role. The incumbent must maintain deep and current knowledge about the payments industry, market trends, new and existing technologies, products and services and the structure of American Express and customer organizations. The incumbent is also responsible for strategy development and programme managing the delivery of new payment platforms and products across the market, through close partnership with local and global teams. This role demands a dynamic, experienced and persuasive operator. A track record of complex problem solving, developing and leveraging strong business relationships and flawless project execution coupled with a consultative approach to sales will be essential for success.
The successful candidate for this role should expect to work with an allocated set of Client Managers, Payment Partners, Banks and Merchants in Australia on:
- Resolving technical payment escalations,
- Providing proactive payment consultancy,
- Enabling strategic, market payment solutions e.g. Contactless, Safekey (3DS), Tokenisation
- Enabling specific, value add payment solutions e.g. Raw Data.
- In conjunction with the ANZ GMS team, develop and implement a payments strategy for Australian merchants which encompasses:
- Migrating key customers to global, point of arrival, payments infrastructure that is more available, secure and supports emerging payment products
- The deployment of new payment capabilities such as Tokenisation, Security capabilities, Contactless and Mobile Payments
- The economical management of card acceptance infrastructure
- The management of Payment Service Providers & Bank Partners that provide online card acceptance capabilities
- Industry knowledge and business development
- Maintain and develop deep knowledge of the payments industry, anticipate and communicate trends to assist in strategic decision making
- Use competitive information to position the unique value, features and benefits of American Express products and services. Attend product training sessions throughout the year to deepen knowledge and understanding of network assets and capabilities
- Conduct independent research and gather marketplace and industry data from: Trade journals & websites, Financial Reports (understand revenue/cost drivers), Payments Industry Publications
- Identify opportunities to leverage relationships between strategic merchant executives and American Express leadership
To be successful in this role a Candidate should be able to strongly demonstrate the following key leadership competencies:
- Driving innovation and change - Carries out systematic and rational analysis to identify the root cause of problems. Is prepared to challenge the status quo and drive innovation. Makes informed judgments. Generates creative ideas/solutions. Knows when to adopt existing ideas and when to invent.
- Focuses on the customer and client - Proactively anticipates customer needs and identifies their specific requirements. Promotes AXP products and seeks opportunities to improve existing business. Ensures premium value is delivered. Ensures the customer experience is positive and effective to enhance the American Express brand.
- Demonstrates personal excellence, acts with integrity, shows energy and resilience. Maintains commitment and remains positive in the face of setbacks and obstacles. Keeps difficulties in perspective and remains positive. Understands own strengths and limitations and is focused on self-development. Is authentic, approachable, open and honest.
In addition show knowledge and preferably experience in:
- Current and emerging payment solutions,
- Current American Express payment solution offerings, and
- American Express authorisation and settlement processes and associated technology.
Other skills and abilities necessary to be successful are:
- Program or project management - Leading or performing within project teams
- Consultative Selling – or similar selling model, techniques
- Ability to learn and apply quickly, particular with technology
- Effective communication internally and up to the c-suite with external partners and customers.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate proficiency and balance between both a sales/relationship type role and a technology SME.
Payment Consultants represent the business interest with both internal and external technology organisations.
This role will be based in Sydney and report to the Head of Payments Consulting also based in Sydney AU, working within a highly engaged and dynamic team of Consultants. In addition, this role will work within cross-functional teams from many parts of the business.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Mar 31, 2019, 6:07:38 PM