American Express Careers
Staff Engineer - Emerging Data Platforms
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
You won’t just shape the world of software.
You’ll shape the world of life, work and play.
Our Engineers not only understand how technology works, but how that technology intersects with the people who count on it every day. Today, innovative ideas, insight and new perspectives are at the core of how we create a more powerful, personal and fulfilling experience for all our customers. So, if you’re interested in a career creating breakthrough software and making an impact on an audience of millions, look no further.
You won’t just keep up, you’ll break new ground.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
As part of Enterprise Information Management Platforms team, Staff Engineer will focus on providing deep technical engineering knowledge and solution delivery of highly scalable data platforms using NoSQL solutions (Cassandra/Couchbase/MapRDB) to support Mission Critical Applications.
- Engineer Data solutions using NoSQL products (e.g. Cassandra/Couchbase/MapRDB) to support large data processing (TB’s/ PB’s) across Enterprise
- Plays an integral role in building and enhancing the data infrastructure using modern database solutions required to support the business portfolio while providing consultation to internal business partners, customers and vendors in assessing data management needs.
- Create enterprise data services API’s that can support high scale ingestion frameworks
- Provide Platform blueprints using next generation data management tools and technical solutions to support Mission Critical Platforms.
- Communicate the value of NoSQL based solutions and recommendations to non-technical audiences including senior management.
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Automate all the things - builds, infrastructure and deployments.
- Drive standardization to reduce costs and improve efficiencies.
- Provide technical expertise to help team members overcome technical problems
- Provide technical guidance to other software engineers at all levels
- Provide level 2 support for core data platform disruptions
- At least 10+ years of strong engineering experience in building Distributed systems
- Preferably a BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline
- Strong experience with NoSQL Solutions (e.g. Cassandra/Couchbase/MapRDB)
- In-depth understanding of distributed database systems, serialization, consensus algorithms, replications and geo-distributed solutions.
- Systems engineering experience, including Linux performance, memory management, I/O tuning, configuration, security networking, clusters and troubleshooting
- Experience analyzing issues holistically, from the application tier through the database, down to the storage
- Good knowledge of data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques
- Experience with continuous delivery using Git, Jenkins, Liquibase, jMeter, Terraform etc
- Expertise in hardware systems architecture, storage solutions, and disaster recovery
- Experience with OpenStack or other private ‘cloud’ management solutions.
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies (KVM, Kubernetes, Containers ...)
- API and REST based Web services development is a plus
- Ability to work with team members in multiple geographic locations and time zones.
- High levels of energy, engagement, and ownership. Positive attitude is an absolute must.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- On-call support experience
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 2, 2019, 1:37:46 PM