American Express Careers
Marketing and Promotions – Strategic Category Manager
Global Supply Management (GSM) is responsible for helping American Express maximize its purchasing power. The Strategic Category Manager’s role is to develop and grow relationships with the business partners to gain context, business unit knowledge, goals, issues and opportunities. Develop strategic forward thinking category plan with multi year value generating portfolio of sourcing initiatives to enable the business success.
- Develop and grow strong relationships with the business partners to gain business unit knowledge, goals, issues and opportunities
- Develop strategic, forward thinking global category plan with multi-year value generating portfolio of sourcing initiatives to enable the business success
- Bring external insight, innovative ideas and an enterprise view on market trends, competitive landscape value generation and strategic sourcing opportunities
- Support Director and VP on an enterprise wide project with 6 work streams and provide insights on thoughtful strategy, detailed planning and disciplined execution to produce sustainable results that meet customer needs
§ Build strong partnership with select strategic suppliers and manages them effectively.
- Developing a category review cycle to refresh strategy and ensure alignment with business partners on a regular basis
- Thought leadership/creative problem solving to challenge the status quo and drive progressive improvement
- Developing strong working relationships with key stakeholders in order to achieve results and enact wide-scale impact across the enterprise
- Independently driving project progress by managing relationships with stakeholders, identifying opportunities and obstacles/risks, developing strategic recommendations, and ensuring deliverables are optimally executed
- Results and change leadership, including the planning and delivery of key initiatives that result in achievement of sustainable, transformational results
- Organizational development, including participation in work streams to improve our service, customer engagement and operational activities, and foster a spirit of collaboration across teams
- Experience leading and participating on cross-functional and/or global teams
- Outstanding relationship management skills able to become a true business partner and a trusted advisor
- Executive presence and ability to work with colleagues and suppliers at all levels
- Strong general manager, including strategic thinking, financial acumen, negotiation skills
- Deep understanding of the market opportunities and the broader business issues within Marketing and Promotions to be able to capitalize on market changes and future trends
- Excellent people skills, including relationship management, communication, negotiation, influencing, planning, presentation and motivation
- Ability to manage day-to-day business priorities along with long-term strategic deliverables
- Resourceful self-starter with the ability to navigate ambiguity and engage in structured thinking in order derive meaningful, data-driven insights
- Ability to influence without authority at all levels and demonstrated track record for driving results and transformation across multiple lines of business
- Proven relationship-builder with strong consultative and collaborative skills to partner with business leaders in order to devise solutions to complex business challenges
- Strategic, big-picture thinker with strong business acumen and high degree of creativity in identifying opportunities for products, services, new processes and systems
- Excellent communicator with the ability to understand the audience, structure effective presentations and distill key messages in order to effectively inform and persuade
- Strong project management skills with proven record of successfully driving results on complex, large-scale, cross-functional initiatives
- Ability to travel 10-20%
- B.S. / B. A.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant business experience
- Project Management experience
- Adapt on story-telling and developing powerpoint decks
- Procurement/sourcing process knowledge
- Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Apr 12, 2019, 7:34:05 AM