American Express Careers
Director - Transfer Pricing
American Express is a global services company and the world’s largest card issuer. Our direct relationships with many millions of consumers, businesses and merchants worldwide – combined with our leading edge marketing, information management and rewards capabilities – enable us to offer an array of valuable services that enrich lives, build business success, encourage financial responsibility and create communities of people with common interests.
At American Express, we serve customers, not transactions. We’re widely known for providing superior customer service and have been recognized for a number of achievements including being ranked highest in customer satisfaction within the credit card industry by J.D. Power for seven consecutive years. The company has also been on Fortune’s 100 Top Companies to Work For nineteen times, ranking #13 in 2019.
A career at American Express is rich in experience and offers opportunities to build lasting relationships with our customers.
Come join us and realize your potential.
The Global Transfer Pricing (GTP) team is part of the International Business Advisory & Planning team within Global Tax at American Express. GTP ensures the creation and alignment of transfer pricing policies with the global business operations of the company, assisting in preparing strategic documentation to support the inter-company transactions within the group, and resolving transfer pricing challenges with the tax authorities across various jurisdictions.
What You Will Be Doing
As a director, you will be responsible for driving transfer pricing optimization strategies and performing an advisory role related to cross-border transactions across the organization. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Developing, implementing and driving transfer pricing optimization strategies for cross-border transactions in compliance with U.S. federal tax and international tax provisions/guidelines.
· Providing business advisory support for cross-border transactions.
· Providing support on U.S. and non-U.S. tax audits, including responding to the IDRs, researching and preparing the tax & financial analyses together with supporting documentation to be able to defend the company’s position in such audits.
· Monitoring transfer pricing-related tax legislative developments across markets where the company conducts business, including developments related to the OECD's BEPS initiative to determine impact to and actions required by the company.
· Supervising external tax advisors on the preparation and review of contemporaneous transfer pricing documentation and recognizing/enforcing tax strategizing possibilities.
· Undertaking effective analysis and managing a process related to forecasting intercompany transactions/legal entity profitability for supporting the tax accounting and compliance teams in the income tax provision process/effective tax rates computation.
· Collaborating with colleagues and peers in the business and other support functions to provide tax technical support in arriving at arm’s length pricing in compliance with applicable transfer pricing regulations.
· Liaising with colleagues both within and outside Global Tax to collect relevant information and data necessary to support various transfer pricing initiatives.
How You Will Succeed
The American Express Leadership Behaviors set a standard of leadership across the enterprise, and exemplify how we bring our strategy, and our leadership, to life at American Express.
· Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like; Put Enterprise Thinking First; Lead with an External Perspective
· Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team; Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback; Make Collaboration Essential
· Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly; Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively; Live the Blue Box Values; Demonstrate the Courage Great Leadership Demands
What You Bring Along
· 10+ years of experience working with a large U.S.-based multinational enterprise or with one of the BIG 4 public accounting firms of which 3-4 years should be in a senior management role
· Strong knowledge of relevant aspects of the Internal Revenue Code, Regulations and Official Guidance, international tax guidelines like OECD’s guidelines for multinational enterprises, BEPS action items, and international tax treaties, particularly the U.S. income tax treaties (or conventions) with foreign countries
· Professionally qualified (CPA); BA/BS or Master’s in Finance or Economics; advanced degree with tax specialization (JD, LLM) are preferred
· Experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements
· Strong Accounting, analytical, and research skills
· Sound project management skills and effective oral and written communications skills
· Strong computer proficiency in Oracle Financials and SharePoint tools
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160
years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and
resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of
learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed
and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new
challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And
when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them,
giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as
the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 7, 2019, 10:56:44 AM