American Express Careers
Principal UX Researcher
Principal User Experience Researcher
The Enterprise Digital & Analytics (EDA) team is passionate about creating a better journey for every user from beginning to end – and we're continually evolving our User Experience (UX) practice to meet our Card Members’ changing digital needs.
Within EDA, the User Experience Research (UXR) & Insights team is looking for a Principal UX Researcher. Reporting to the Director of UX Research and Insights, you’ll be responsible for leading a portfolio of work, uncovering and translating user needs that drive customer-centered design solutions across our membership experiences, in our website and mobile app.
As a senior member of the team, the right candidate will have deep expertise in user research, Design Thinking, and a proven track record of successfully consulting and partnering with Product Owners, Designers, and business stakeholders.
- Transform ideas, business opportunities, and creative vision into desirable outcomes for our users – establishing user needs and goals from the outset.
- Consult with Product Owners and Designers to determine their insight needs, make appropriate recommendations - and craft research plans that align with the product roadmap.
- End-to-end responsibility for leading a portfolio of research projects. From identifying the appropriate methods to get the data; to establishing timelines and dependencies; to conducting the research itself and delivering the results in a compelling way.
- Leading both generative and evaluative research - using a combination of methods, to drive product development and improvement.
- Working in a hybrid model, where research may be undertaken directly by you as a practitioner, in partnership with a vendor, or delivered entirely by a 3rd party, but led by you.
- Synthesize learnings across projects, integrate with other functions (e.g. Analytics) and lead socialization of findings.
- Drive the continuous improvement of the UXR team as we build the maturity of our function, helping educate stakeholders, as well as sharing best practice with peers and junior colleagues.
- Work across multiple markets to identify global solutions, across all stages of the customer lifecycle.
- May involve line management or contractor management responsibility, as you will be leading a pod of more junior UX Researchers within the team.
- Undergraduate or Masters Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Interaction Design, Computer/Information Science highly preferred.
- 7+ years of UX Research / Digital Interaction experience with consumer facing digital products, websites and mobile experiences.
- Proven experience in identifying research needs, matching those needs to research methods, and aligning approach with overall business strategy.
- Experience conducting research using of a range of qualitative and quantitative methods, from usability testing and contextual inquiry; to survey design and remote testing (using UserZoom or Qualtrics); to participatory design, ethnography, etc.
- Portfolio of work as a research practitioner: e.g. moderating (1 on 1), screener creation, test plan creation, debriefing, facilitation, and presentation of results and recommendations.
- Experienced facilitator, having conducted participatory workshops involving Design Thinking, empathy & journey mapping, persona creation, etc.
- Ability to synthesize multiple insights to arrive at recommendations that deliver customer-focused outcomes for the organization and communicate them effectively to Product Owners and Designers.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners to drive multiple research projects at pace and scale.
- Strong communication, story-telling, influencing and relationship-building skills.
- Comfortable working independently, and as part of a larger specialist team, with team members spread across multiple locations and timezones.
- Flexible, able to adapt to change in a fast-paced matrix environment and be able to hit the ground running.
- Experience as a people leader desirable, with a track record of developing others.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 15, 2019, 4:05:39 PM