American Express Careers
Machine Learning Engineer
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is embarking on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic newly formed Machine Learning team of high performers that is looking to build the next generation platform for democratizing Machine Learning in Amex on the Cloud. This group is nimble and creative with the power to shape our technology and product roadmap.
As an Engineer in our Machine Learning team you will be responsible for creating and delivering technical solutions and capabilities on the platform to support our entire ML-driven application portfolio across the enterprise. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concepts to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers. As an Engineer the successful candidate will play a key role in the understanding of product owner strategy and collaborate with peers and technology partners to translate complex user stories into successful product releases. If you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across through cognitive solutions, this would be the right fit for you!
- Regularly engage with business teams to understand their needs and imperatives and operationalize a framework for deploying Machine Learning models.
- Prototype and simulate use cases for Machine learning basis and ability to operationalize into workable algorithms & solutions.
- Rigorous testing of algorithms as per business norms and delivering significant working leverage over status quo and generate value for the business.
- Deploy models in production environment and regular maintenance of production variables.
- Capability of writing, debugging and compiling codes in multiple Machine Learning environment and not limited to Python/Pyspark, Apache Spark, R Spark etc.
At least 1-2 years of experience in the following areas:
- Firm grip of Python environment and libraries (scikit, nltk, pandas and numpy). Working knowledge of R & Spark is a plus.
- Proven experience of solving complex business problems using Machine Learning techniques like Regression, Classification, Supervised or Unsupervised Recommenders, Deep iterative learning, Neural Nets etc.
- Deep knowledge of Statistics and Maths and ability to dissect problems from the first principle. Exposure to fields like Linear Algebra, Bayesian Statistics, Group theory is desirable.
- Experience of working in Distributed/Cluster computing environment is desirable
- Ability to work in cross functional teams
- Excellent data presentation and visualization skills
- Hands on knowledge of SQL/ Hive QL is desirable
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 14, 2019, 1:46:40 PM