American Express Careers
Staff Engineer - Digital Acquisition
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Digital Acquisition portfolio at American Express drives customer acquisition through web, mobile and conversational experiences. We are looking for a highly experienced engineer to provide deep technical knowledge and architectural guidance to our portfolio teams.
If you were to join us, here are some of the things you'd do:
- Speak to technology strategy and platform health as a member of our portfolio management team
- Articulate high level technology outcomes and craft a roadmap for achieving them
- Envision and define portfolio-level technology capabilities
- Coordinate strategic technical decision-making and system design across the portfolio
- Ensure that the solutions we devise are consistent with our high-level technology strategy
- Champion agility, quality and scalability and DevOps practices
- Mentor, guide, and align our community of architects and developers
- 8+ years of active software development and architecture experience in a complex technology environment
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems or a related field, or equivalent experience; advanced degree preferred
- Recent hands-on experience with the primary technology stack within the portfolio: ES6, React, Java 8, SQL
- Expertise in crafting fault-tolerant, scalable systems that are performant at a global scale
- Deep understanding of Agile software development methodologies and practices such as Scrum, Kanban and Extreme Programming
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to author and deliver effective presentations to senior technology and business leaders
Also critical to your success:
- Simultaneous contribution to multiple work streams including planning, logistics, communication, and follow-up across a diverse team
- A strong belief in your personal responsibility for ensuring the best outcomes for the company and organization
- Experience working in a distributed team model and collaborating with remote team members
- Appetite for taking risks and motivating change in a large and sometimes slow-moving organization
- Experience with the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Experience in a fast-paced startup environment
- Demonstrated public speaking and/or technical publishing experience
- Significant industry community involvement
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 16, 2019, 9:44:44 AM