American Express Careers
Senior Big Data Engineer
Why American Express
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
What we’re looking for:
You’re a talented, creative, and motivated engineer who loves developing powerful, stable, and intuitive apps – and you’re excited to work with a team of individuals with that same passion. You’ve accumulated years of experience, and you’re excited about taking your mastery of Big Data, Python and Java to a new level. You enjoy challenging projects involving big data sets and are cool under pressure. You’re no stranger to fast-paced environments and agile development methodologies – in fact, you embrace them. With your strong analytical skills, your unwavering commitment to quality, your excellent technical skills, and your collaborative work ethic, you’ll do great things here at American Express.
What you’ll do:
As a Senior Big Data Engineer, you’ll be responsible for designing and building high performance, scalable data solutions that meet the needs of our big data platform customers - Engineers, Analysts and Data Scientists. You’ll design, develop, and test robust, scalable data platform components. You’ll work with a variety of teams and individuals, including product engineers to understand their data pipeline needs and come up with innovative solutions. You’ll work with a team of talented engineers and collaborate with product managers and designers to help define new data products and features.
Skills, accomplishments, interests you should have:
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical discipline or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 6+ years core development experience in python or java : building business logic layers and back-end systems for high-volume pipelines
- Current experience in Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce and HDFS, Cassandra / HBase
- Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL and processing of structured and unstructured data
- Current experience using Java development, SQL Database systems, and Apache products
- Experience with high-speed messaging frameworks and streaming (kafka, akka,reactive)
- Experience developing and deploying applications to a public cloud (AWS, GCE) / private cloud using Kubernetes/OpenShift
- Experience with DevOps tools (GitHub, TravisCI, Jira) and methodologies (Lean, Agile, Scrum, Test Driven Development)
- Ability to work quickly with an eye towards writing clean code that is efficient and reusable
- Ability to build prototypes for new features that will delight our users and are consistent with business goals
- Ability to iterate quickly in an agile development process
- Ability to learn new technologies and evaluate multiple technologies to solve a problem
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: Jun 12, 2019, 6:10:05 PM