American Express Careers
Engineer - Backend
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Customer Experience Platform Excellence technology organization develops platforms that power delightful and valuable customer experiences for American Express and our partners. We are looking for software developers to help us craft the APIs underlying web, mobile, voice and chat applications for customer acquisition and loyalty programs.
What you'll do:
- Contribute to the development of platform features on a diverse, multi-functional team
- Gain exposure to a Scaled Agile work environment
- Continuously learn and implement new technologies and frameworks
- Collaborate with different teams to understand requirements and implement solutions that cater to the needs of our diverse customer base
- Triage and resolve production issues and improve our delivery process with the help of our reliability and automation teams
- Work directly with product owners to understand business needs
Join us if you have:
- A working knowledge of backend web development technology topics like APIs, databases, asynchronous messaging and cloud computing
- Hands-on experience with at least one general purpose object-oriented programming language (Java/Kotlin preferred) and the ecosystem around it, including frameworks and tools
- Familiarity with Agile development and DevOps concepts
- The ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a broad audience of business, product and technology team members
Bonus points if you have:
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Experience with distributed systems architecture concepts such as microservices, service meshes and API gateways
- Deep understanding of networking principles and protocols: DNS, TCP, UDP, TLS, HTTP
- Experience with software development and collaboration tools (GitHub, Jira, Confluence, etc.)
- Significant open source or other community contribution
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 23, 2019, 2:10:27 PM