American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Backend
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
The Customer Experience Platform Excellence technology organization develops platforms that power delightful and valuable customer experiences for American Express and our partners. We are looking for software developers to help us craft the APIs underlying web, mobile, voice and chat applications for customer acquisition and loyalty programs.
What you'll do with us:
- Lead to the development of platform features on a diverse, multi-functional team, driving feature definition, systems design and prototyping
- Mentor junior engineers, pair-program with them and model high-performing behaviors for them
- Influence our culture by challenging the status quo and finding ways to improve how we work
- Gain deep exposure to a Scaled Agile work environment
- Continuously learn and implement new technologies and frameworks
- Collaborate with different teams to understand requirements and implement solutions that cater to the needs of our diverse customer base
- Triage and resolve production issues with the help of our site reliability team
- Work directly with product owners to understand business needs
Join us if you have:
- 5+ years of software development experience in multi-project environments
- Hands-on experience building distributed software systems
- Practical knowledge of backend web development technology topics like APIs, microservices, databases, asynchronous messaging and cloud computing
- Mastery of at least one general purpose object-oriented programming language (Java/Kotlin preferred) and the ecosystem around it, including frameworks and tools
- Comfort with Agile development methodologies and DevOps concepts
- Experience with software development and collaboration tools (GitHub, Jira, Confluence, etc.)
- The ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a broad audience of business, product and technology team members
- An interest in understanding our business and making careful trade-off decisions balancing the desires of many different stakeholders
Bonus points if you have:
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or a related field
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Deep understanding of networking principles and protocols: DNS, TCP, UDP, TLS, HTTP
- Experience in a dynamic startup environment
- Significant open source or other community contribution
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 28, 2019, 11:58:45 AM