American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - VB.Net
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live without it.
American Express has embarked on an exciting transformation driven by an energetic new team of high performers. This is a great opportunity to join the CTO organization within American Express Technologies become the driver of this exciting journey.
We’re looking for a highly-skilled and motivated Senior .NET Engineer with a history of building and leading .NET Applications – Someone who fosters a culture of high quality and innovation using new capabilities and processes. Our main application is written in VB.NET, and may be converted so C#. VB.NET is the working environment for now. Having past VB.NET experience that’s a little rusty is sufficient, as long as you come up to speed quickly. We are also migrating some backend processing to a Java/Big Data technology stack. You will work with a high degree of independence to understand the application, make enhancements, and help migrate functionality to our Java/Big Data tech stack.
Joining the Phoenix-based Enterprise Marketing team, this role will be focused on the delivery of innovative solutions to satisfy the needs of our business. As an agile team we work closely with our business partners to understand what they require, and we strive to continuously improve as a team. We all have a role in accelerating our delivery of high quality reliable and resilient code, and as a Senior Engineer you have the opportunity to look at the bigger picture and steer the team in the right direction, being cognizant of developments across the wider enterprise.
There are hundreds of opportunities to make your mark on technology and life at American Express. Here’s just some of what you’ll be doing:
- As a part of our team, you will be developing innovative, high quality, and robust operational engineering capabilities
- Develop software in our technology stack which is constantly evolving but currently includes .NET, SOLACE and MQ Messaging, Linux Scripting – Migrating some processing to Java/Big Data with API and Batch interfaces
- Work with Business partners and with stakeholders to understand functional requirements, architecture dependencies, and business capability roadmaps
- Lead technical solution design to meet business requirements
- Lead agile project teams in technical issue resolution in line with company and platform strategic direction
- Taking your place as a core member of an Agile team driving the latest development practices
- Identify and drive reengineering opportunities, and opportunities for adopting new technologies
- 8+ years of Software Development experience in VB.Net (preferred) or C#.Net. Our project is coded in VB.NET, so proficiency in VB.NET is required. It’s okay if you’re rusty
- Preferably a BS or MS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other Technical discipline
- Must have strong analytical skills and be able to work with minimal direction, and figure out and map the functionality of an existing system with minimal assistance
- Strong knowledge on MS SQL Server
- Strong Object-Oriented Programming skills and Design Patterns
- Good communication skills and team work – Ability to describe/explain complex things, and ask probing questions to drive requirements and problem discovery
- Self-driven, detail-oriented, and collaborative in problem solving. Forthright and proactive about sharing knowledge and helping others
- Emotional Intelligence to thrive in fast-paced, cross-team projects
- Understanding of various SDLC methodologies, particularly Agile
- Open-minded and passionate about learning new technologies
- Suggest and recommend solution architecture to resolve business problems
- Perform code review and lead technical discussions with the team on the best solutions possible
Hands-on experience with Java or other Object-oriented programming languages is a big plus
- Linux/Unix shell scripting
- Experience with Big Data technologies
- Development, deployment, and maintenance of APIs
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 23, 2019, 11:42:12 AM