American Express Careers
Senior Engineer - Java
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
American Express prides itself with innovation and embarking on exciting transformations driven by energetic teams of high performers. Our Web Development Teams are comprised of entrepreneurial engineers with strong inclinations towards action and leadership and the power to shape our technology and product roadmap.
As a back-end Engineer you'll deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our customers seamlessly across the digital web. You will be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial team responsible for delivering world-class card member experiences. You will be challenged with identifying innovative ideas and proof of concept to deliver against the existing and future needs of our customers.
- Design, code, and implement highly scalable and reliable web-based applications.
- Coordinate with other team’s architect, engineers and vendors as necessary.
- Deliver on all phases of development work from initial kick-off, technical setup, application development, and support.
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
- Perform ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
- Work with product managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
- Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
- Quickly generate and update proof of concepts for testing and team feedback
- Embrace emerging standards while promoting best practices
- Leads the design, development, troubleshooting, and debugging work efforts for customer facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end-user applications
- Consistently pushes platform forward of own initiative and has comprehensive understanding of product and system dependencies
- Owns an application's architecture and design end to end
- Collaborates with cross functional across business units
- Integral in forming a cohesive, collaborative team environment
- Is known to product and technical members outside immediate team and domain
- Mentors and coaches others across all teams
- Empowers Junior engineers to speak up and try new things
- Proactive in engaging in initiatives to further business goals
- Responsible for due diligence with cost and benefits analysis for implementation options
- Taking your place as a core member of an agile team driving the latest development practices
- Writing code and unit tests, working with API specs and automation
- Identifying opportunities for adopting new technologies
- Leading a team of engineers that delivers knowledge management solutions to businesses worldwide
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ year's overall development experience and 7+ year's enterprise software experience
- Experience building large scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
- Deep knowledge of Java technologies
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structure, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience to lead teams and guide engineers inside and outside the team for design
- Experience in building JAX-WS & JAX-RS APIs.
- Web development work experience required
- Good understanding of No-SQL and RDBMS database technologies
- Good understanding of design for security, scalability, performance and availability
- Demonstrated experience in Agile development, application design, software development, and testing
- Experience with adaptive and responsive development techniques
- Aptitude for learning and applying programming concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external business partners
- Experience with a broad range of software languages and payments technologies is a plus.
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time
Date Posted: May 29, 2019, 4:57:26 PM